SEACOM's new peering policy cuts off ISPs

TheRoDent

Expert Member
I've been running netflow on the peering link since we received the letter. There's almost no traffic to and from SEACOM. Obviously that's for us.
I remember having this conversation with Edwin Thompson back in the day, with MTN, and he said "You're too small to consider peering with, based on your netflows".

My response was. "So, If we're that small, why not peer ?"

I look at Seacom's de-peering letter now and think...

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
So it's not just me then. I must apologise for all the bad thoughts and words directed at my pc!

I have been going nuts changing DNS server's etc.
There are ongoing DNS attacks:

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
SEACOM told MyBroadband that its initial open peering arrangement allowed many networks to enjoy costless transit across its network
So the guys that were de-peered are being accused of doing dodgy stuff as the primary reason? I call BS.
Regardless, if it is indeed the case, I'm sure there are countless engineers out there that will help them with their filters to fix it.

quovadis

Expert Member
Regardless of their motive, 7 days notice is ridiculously short notice unless Seacom
Is trying to leverage the situation - I’m sure Icasa would frown upon that if they actually did their job.

Leno

If its some bad actors abusing the peering then they must be more specific, or its smoke and mirrors for "we want to make more money on transit or commercial peering"

mje

SEACOM said it has reviewed its open peering policy and it has decided to change to selective peering with immediate effect.
This will effect those getting transit and connectivity through SEACOM as they will no longer have direct access to those who have been de-peered. If it's just all about Netflix then this is the wrong knee-jerk reaction. Perhaps transit or even direct customers of SEACOM will complain and even vote with their wallets. I hope so, much as I love and appreciate the positiveness that SEACOM has done for our industry in the past.

Charlie21

Regardless of their motive, 7 days notice is ridiculously short notice unless Seacom
Is trying to leverage the situation - I’m sure Icasa would frown upon that if they actually did their job.
Their IP and peering is provided from their Mauritius entity. So I'm not sure how ICASA will address this, as they are not using there SA Entity to provide this services so would not be under ICASA regulations. So is potentially a grey area.

kilos

Expert Member
Unfortunately our little bit of Seacom traffic routes via our OS IPT, until OS stuff up the routing and were back to the old days with international hops. It's coming
Seacom blunder of the year, wonder who put the idea forward at Seacom.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just saw a Seacom peer in a torrent list while I was downloading...

Afrihost still peers with Seacom via Liquid Telecom.