Second hard lockdown warning for South Africa

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
In fact, even this headline and the immediate text thereunder seems to suggest my point: Second Hard Lockdown Warning for South Africa and pic of the Pres. Clickbaity and shameful if you ask me. And the subsequent threads show that:

1603819834346.png

Rumours created by mybb. Then come the reactions:

1603819856339.png

1603819881799.png

1603819911789.png

All these threads started after MyBB's fear mongering article, interestingly corroborated nowhere else that I could find.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
In fact, even this headline and the immediate text thereunder seems to suggest my point: Second Hard Lockdown Warning for South Africa and pic of the Pres. Clickbaity and shameful if you ask me. And the subsequent threads show that:

View attachment 941334

View attachment 941336

View attachment 941338

View attachment 941340

All these threads started after MyBB's fear mongering article, interestingly corroborated nowhere else that I could find.
It was broadcast on eNCA on Sunday.

Rabobi

Honorary Master

View attachment 941334

View attachment 941336

View attachment 941338

View attachment 941340

You are not allowed to complain about clickbait in these parts

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
You are not allowed to complain about clickbait in these parts

This was not a complaint about clickbait. If it was, it would have been front and center on page 1. I ignored this thread until I saw the official source discrediting this nonsense.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
No. They also attributed that to the KZN Premier.

So their headline, did it warn of a second coming of our lord and saviour the Lockdown together with a message that the President would address the nation? Or did they just state that the premier got all cocky? Because MyBB did the former in their headline, didn't they? They went for the panic and managed to succeed. Did any other news source even mention that the the president would address the nation this week? Does mybb stand by its assertion that the president will address the nation this week?

Reactions: Swa

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So their headline, did it warn of a second coming of our lord and saviour the Lockdown together with a message that the President would address the nation? Or did they just state that the premier got all cocky? Because MyBB did the former in their headline, didn't they? They went for the panic and managed to succeed. Did any other news source even mention that the the president would address the nation this week? Does mybb stand by its assertion that the president will address the nation this week?

Reactions: STS

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
So mybb's credible source for the president speaking is SABC's speculation? Without any credible source?

I noticed, as with other times I have asked difficult questions, that the hard questions remained unanswered:

Does mybb stand by its assertion that the president will address the nation this week?

Even SABC's tag line is POSSIBILITY that he will address the nation soon. Failing any official sources, this is nothing but cheap speculation. While he may well address us, their article is not about a second lockdown and that chick says as much. "He is not going to punish the nation or making us stay at home." Her words. But MYBB's reckless headline? Nothing like that.

Every now and then, mybb likes to discard its integrity - this is one of those times. And there is nothing wrong with admitting that. When we admit we messed up, we take steps to be a little more responsible. Kind of like alcoholism.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So mybb's credible source for the president speaking is SABC's speculation? Without any credible source?
She said (4:51) "it was at this particular dinner that the president stated that he is going to address the nation this week". Seems pretty clear to me what her words were. Even the closed captioning picked it up. Are you suggesting she's lying?

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 21.17.03.png
Does mybb stand by its assertion that the president will address the nation this week?
It's not for me to say what the writer will stand by. I just read the article.
Kind of like alcoholism.
Most people know when to stop.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
She said (4:51) "it was at this particular dinner that the president stated that he is going to address the nation this week". Seems pretty clear to me what her words were. Even the closed captioning picked it up.
It's not for me to say what the writer will stand by. I just read the article.
Most people know when to stop.

Yet the sub-eds knew it was questionable and chose a different scrolling text. So, MyBB's source was an SABC journalist who probably over-speculated. I just don't care anymore, because, like you said, most people know when to stop. In March this year I stated that MyBB was losing credibility. I stand by that: this piece just reaffirms my insights. And like I said back then, it is a real shame.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yet the sub-eds knew it was questionable and chose a different scrolling text. So, MyBB's source was an SABC journalist who probably over-speculated. I just don't care anymore, because, like you said, most people know when to stop. In March this year I stated that MyBB was losing credibility. I stand by that: this piece just reaffirms my insights. And like I said back then, it is a real shame.
As I asked in my previous post - are you saying she's lying about what she overheard?

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
As I asked in my previous post - are you saying she's lying about what she overheard?

Without a credible source, I am saying she is paraphrasing at least. Embellishing a bit as well. She is adding her own spin to it. Although, I don't think anyone in these parts would pick that up, given how previously (and now) words have been twisted to create new meanings, closely related to what was said but far from exact or contextual.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Without a credible source, I am saying she is paraphrasing at least. Embellishing a bit as well. She is adding her own spin to it. Although, I don't think anyone in these parts would pick that up, given how previously (and now) words have been twisted to create new meanings, closely related to what was said but far from exact or contextual.
You know Ramaphosa himself has said he wants to address the nation in the coming days, right?

EDIT:
"I want to look at the report very closely, and also then have an opportunity in the coming days, possibly next week, to address the people of South Africa on what we now need to do in light of what we are going through.
Source

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
n fact, even this headline and the immediate text thereunder seems to suggest my point: Second Hard Lockdown Warning for South Africa and pic of the Pres. Clickbaity and shameful if you ask me.

In general how the way the media, "journalists", sensationalist news etc. works, is they can state anything until you can prove they can't state it anymore. The fact that the president has not explicitly said and wrote it down in black and white there is no lockdown, means they can spread fear and whatever they like, if there is a hint of possibility they are right. Take for example this:

President Cyril Ramaphosa has dismissed rumours that South Africa is returning to a hard lockdown but said there are worrying trends related to COVID-19 infections.

The rumors that we are going to level 3 is simply not true.

The fact that the president has dismissed the RUMOURS (media get $$$$ by publishing rumours and make it look like facts) won't make the media show a heading dismissing the rumours.

You won't see a heading "Lockdown not likely to happen as president dismiss rumours".

Who is gonna want to click on that?

No, typically the media will have a heading like "Hard lockdown, still a possibility".

Anyways, its the way the game is played. It is their bread and butter. In a world of money and profit, can one expect anything less?

We will just sit back in confusion and drink whatever the serve us.

A good example is the heading chosen for the front page:
1603834048782.png

And the heading chosen for the forum:
1603834074286.png

It's the front page where the $$$ are and invites users to click the link and go check if the previous article posted was true or not. I mean, imagine they put the forum heading on the front page, will probably have much less clicks. That wont work.

/ends dramatic music

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
It's the prat from KZN who is threatening there's going to be a hard lockdown - not squirrel.

Are you sure you're not confusing this article with one you've read?
That twat shouldn't be speaking at all. This is the problem, when politicians keep regurgitating their own ideas. There should be one voice saying another lockdown isn't an option. And the media is guilty as well for spreading the speculation.

CommonSense

Just like all the "Black Friday Specials" articles with zero actual content on any specials, just that there "will be massive specials". If that isn't click-bait then I don't know...