Second hard lockdown warning for South Africa

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The vast majority of the lockdown (if they have one) will be between Christmas and New Year. I get the logic behind it as there's several mass religious gathering during this period.

That can be done with 10 day lockdown but I expect the ANC looking at a 14day minimum for the next lockdown.

Those religious gatherings and such will happen regardless of what the ANC wants at this point in my opinion.

I know of a good many companies that used to have a "Christmas shutdown" that have taken the opportunity this year to break that expectation and are now going to work straight through and have told their staff that the Christmas break is a thing of the past now. They will get their 15 days leave to take whenever they want during the year rather than having to take it all during a forced break at the end of the year.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Yip.

I think he might take it back to level 2 again as a warning shot just to get people back inline again.

Honestly that's all that needs to happen again. Many have just relaxed all the rules and are back to normal. We just need to remember we still need to be careful.
The problem with lockdown is the sweeping powers it gives NDZ and the NCCC. They're loving it and looking for any excuse to keep it going. Just the other day I heard of a court case asking "government" for reasons why we still have a lockdown. It looks like this is what they're trying to do.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
I took an Uber to Tops now.

The app said the driver was wearing a mask. He wasn't.

The only reason why I had a mask with me in my pocket is to be able to enter Tops.

I'm over this bullshit. I think a lot of people are.

Isn't it a tad early in the morning to be alcoholing? :unsure:

dielaksman

Mask wearing is a joke to be honest. People wear buffs/masks made from old tshirts etc. or they just wear is over their mouths, which is totally ineffective. I wish they would just stop it being a requirement, especially now in in summer. People having flu and coughing on you is down to a minimum.

markings

Expert Member
Scare tactics. We can't afford another lockdown. Besides the number don't warrant it. 1700 infections per day, times 14 for the duration of the illness, but let's be generous and take 20 days. That is 34000 infected of which 15% may require hospitalization, 5100 hospital beds. IIRC roughly 20% need an ICU bed, 1020 ICU beds country wide. The Cape Town Conference center had 800 beds alone. So where is the problem?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Scare tactics. We can't afford another lockdown. Besides the number don't warrant it. 1700 infections per day, times 14 for the duration of the illness, but let's be generous and take 20 days. That is 34000 infected of which 15% may require hospitalization, 5100 hospital beds. IIRC roughly 20% need an ICU bed, 1020 ICU beds country wide. The Cape Town Conference center had 800 beds alone. So where is the problem?

Power, they're losing it and want it back.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
It just doesn't feel right if I don't have at least a tall glass of beer or a double whiskey at my desk in the morning. Great minds think alike!
Same here. I'm at Tops every morning with the staff at 09:00. I only start working once I have my first glass of beer. :thumbsup:

surface

Honorary Master
I took an Uber to Tops now.

The app said the driver was wearing a mask. He wasn't.

The only reason why I had a mask with me in my pocket is to be able to enter Tops.

I'm over this bullshit. I think a lot of people are.
Love your spirit. Give it to the liberals. We all wish we were courageous like you.