Section 56 Fine issued by an officer in Rustenburg not showing up on any paymensystem

TiaanSmal

Hi all

As the title suggests I've procured a lovely section 56 fine for not stopping completely at a stop street in Rustenburg, and due to the potential criminal nature of this kind of fine I'd like to pay it as soon as possible.
I have tried to pay it on FNB to no avail
I've been to the post office twice and even tried spars
Various online payment systems also didn't find anything

First of all, is it true that paying this will result in a criminal record?

And where can I pay this fine? I'm from Joburg and really don't feel like driving to Rustenburg again...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hi all

As the title suggests I've procured a lovely section 56 fine for not stopping completely at a stop street in Rustenburg, and due to the potential criminal nature of this kind of fine I'd like to pay it as soon as possible.

And where can I pay this fine? I'm from Joburg and really don't feel like driving to Rustenburg again...

Just prepare yourself for a few nights in Jail...

Its a horrible Schedule 1 offence and the cops will come after you, the fine is just a sham.. They want you to go to the courts to pay it where you will be arrested.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
You can pay at traffic department listed on the fine, I went to court first to have to reduced and then paid it.

Court date should be on the fine on a section 56 fine.

thechamp

Honorary Master
It sometimes takes a while to reflect, got a speeding fine in Tembisa some time ago and I remember it took a while to reflect. The stop sign one i got in Tshwane appeared surprisingly quickly and it was half of what I was supposed to pay, it was originally for R500, reduced to R250 if I pay within a a specified time, it reflected as R125 and I paid it, don't how that came about.

TiaanSmal

Just prepare yourself for a few nights in Jail...

Its a horrible Schedule 1 offence and the cops will come after you, the fine is just a sham.. They want you to go to the courts to pay it where you will be arrested.

I doubt it'll go as far as being arrested if I pay it but thanks for the warning!

TiaanSmal

You can pay at traffic department listed on the fine, I went to court first to have to reduced and then paid it.

Yeah but that means a nice long drive through the country :/
Guess I should look forward to a breakfast in Rustenburg!

TiaanSmal

I spoke to legal aid and they said going to court could result in further sentencing...? But then again they're quite useless anyway

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I spoke to legal aid and they said going to court could result in further sentencing...? But then again they're quite useless anyway
Weird section 56 fine is just municipal Court, you just go in they give option to set Court date in magistrate court or have it reduced and pay now. They normally reduce by 50% . I was there last year for same offence lol

KhoisanX

Expert Member
It sometimes takes a while to reflect, got a speeding fine in Tembisa some time ago and I remember it took a while to reflect. The stop sign one i got in Tshwane appeared surprisingly quickly and it was half of what I was supposed to pay, it was originally for R500, reduced to R250 if I pay within a a specified time, it reflected as R125 and I paid it, don't how that came about.

Why even bother issuing fines if the amount is so little.

TiaanSmal

Weird section 56 fine is just municipal Court, you just go in they give option to set Court date in magistrate court or have it reduced and pay now. They normally reduce by 50% . I was there last year for same offence lol

Also in Rustenburg? Guess I'll just drove out during the week...

Out of interest sake how long did you wait after you got the fine?
Did you ask to have it reduced at a counter at the place mentioned below?

Is this the place? Can't you also pay it at a post office in the area too?

Landdroskantoor Magistrates Office
13 Nelson Mandela St, CBD, Rustenburg, 2999
014 597 9400

https://goo.gl/maps/jDBUEKTdRpp

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Also in Rustenburg? Guess I'll just drove out during the week...

Out of interest sake how long did you wait after you got the fine?
Did you ask to have it reduced at a counter at the place mentioned below?

Is this the place? Can't you also pay it at a post office in the area too?

Landdroskantoor Magistrates Office
13 Nelson Mandela St, CBD, Rustenburg, 2999
014 597 9400

https://goo.gl/maps/jDBUEKTdRpp

No this in parow cape town.

I did not get a fine in the post, the fine was issued on the spot from the traffic officer with the notice to appear in court on the fine.

I had it reduced in court from the prosecutor, the lady looks at the fine then reduce it depending on the conditions.

That address is local magistrate court, you will have match it with address on fine, mine was at the local municipal court.

TiaanSmal

Hi all

Hello again

Just thought I'd post an update here in case anyone has a similar issue.

I ended up going to Rustenburg and paying my fine without any issue. Unfortunately, this was a provincial fine so therefore you'll need to go back to the state it was issued in or fork out the extra cash (in my case a total of R600 on top of the fine) to do a postal order (which I hardly trust anyway).

As far as the criminal side of things go. They did not take my fingerprints, despite the fine having a block for it at the right corner, which was my biggest fear. You can only get an official criminal record if fingerprints are taken. To my knowledge and advice given by a lawyer anyway. Doesn't make a section 56 fine any less serious though and if you think you can ignore it don't.
Despite this I'm sure there's definitely a "record" of the altercation regardless for future offenses. I didn't pay it at a police station I went to a place labelled "Rustenburg traffic". Couldn't get any discount but in total it took me 20 minutes.

Thank you everyone for the advice and good luck to anyone who ends up having a similar experience.