Security guard due in court for fatal shooting of former boxing champ's dad

schumi

Honorary Master
JOHANNESBURG - A man is appearing in court on Monday following the shooting of former IBO welterweight champion Chris van Heerden’s father, Daniel van Heerden.
The incident happened in Meyerton near Vereeniging on Thursday last week.
In a video, circulating on social media, Daniel van Heerden and the suspect are seen having an altercation on the side of the road.
The former boxer is seen taking the keys from the security guard’s vehicle and is heard threatening to call the police.
Vid cuts out before the shot that kills him

(contains vulgar language)

More at: https://ewn.co.za/2018/12/31/securi...r-fatal-shooting-of-former-boxing-champ-s-dad

Sons response

Last edited:

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
I'm really sorry for his loss, but honestly why on earth would you get into an altercation like that with an armed EFF supporter?

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Uhm...Because nobody expects to be shot in the back?
Maybe I have a different perspective on this being female, but from my perspective that entire situation was trouble looking for a place to happen. Just basic common sense says you don't get into an argument with a person you suspect of criminal activity. You don't go nose-to-nose with an angry man with a gun. And in South Africa, you don't, as a White person, swear at a guy in EFF overalls and generally antagonise him. Even less so when he is an EFF supporter with a gun.

Whatever the guy was doing wrong, walk away, call the police, live to fight another day. This isn't 1904 when the White Afrikaans man was baas and could get away with acting like it.

ponder

Honorary Master
Maybe I have a different perspective on this being female, but from my perspective that entire situation was trouble looking for a place to happen. Just basic common sense says you don't get into an argument with a person you suspect of criminal activity. You don't go nose-to-nose with an angry man with a gun. And in South Africa, you don't, as a White person, swear at a guy in EFF overalls and generally antagonise him. Even less so when he is an EFF supporter with a gun.

Whatever the guy was doing wrong, walk away, call the police, live to fight another day. This isn't 1904 when the White Afrikaans man was baas and could get away with acting like it.
The guy is a security guard not an eff member as far as I'm aware.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Still don't see how that equals eff unless they're a division of the eff.
Sorry yes my fault, red uniform + red uniform = confusion.

Excluding the EFF bit, I still stand by my statement. You don't get into a swearing match with a guy with a gun. It's stoopid and not going to end well, however it ends.

And when the guy pulled his gun and started shooting was absolutely definitely the time to shut up and leave FAST! Not blinking carry on. The guy was in his bakkie, all he had to do was start it and leave on, not get out and carry on arguing.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Not just twitter, Zoom has already justified his murder because he was Afrikaans and obviously thought he was baas ......
Does anyone READ any more? I said arguing with a suspected criminal with a gun was stoopid. Carrying on arguing with the guy with the gun after he starting shooting at you was even more stupid.

This does not justify the actions of the moron with the gun in any shape or form.

And as a possible explanation for the idiot arguing with the guy with the gun in the first place, he clearly was acting as I have seen countless people in SA act, like they are entitled and protected by some magic mantle of whiteness that utterly fails to take into account the new reality of South Africa. They aren't Baas anymore, they can't boss people around. They can't swear at people. They can't take the guy's keys and generally act like the rude word he used when he threw the keys back at the guy.

I mean what I say and I say what I mean, don't add your interpretation to it or fill in the blanks you think I missed. I didn't. I know what I said, what I meant to say, and I said it fairly precisely. READ what I say. EXACTLY as I say it. Don't interpret, don't add, don't guess.

ponder

Honorary Master
And as a possible explanation for the idiot arguing with the guy with the gun in the first place, he clearly was acting as I have seen countless people in SA act, like they are entitled and protected by some magic mantle of whiteness that utterly fails to take into account the new reality of South Africa. They aren't Baas anymore, they can't boss people around. They can't swear at people. They can't take the guy's keys and generally act like the rude word he used when he threw the keys back at the guy.
If he acted like that with a white guy it's fine, act the same way with a black person is not fine. The one makes him racist while the other does not, that in itself is racism...

Daruk

Honorary Master
That was uncalled for. What do you know about the altercation and what it was about? You get pretty riled up on a forum, I can only imagine you're hot headed in real life from time to time.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
That was uncalled for. What do you know about the altercation and what it was about? You get pretty riled up on a forum, I can only imagine you're hot headed in real life from time to time.
I haven't been shot, or threatened with being shot, or been in any similar situation where my life would be at risk. Safety first. I even walk away when they come to refill the ATM. I'm not standing there while there is a risk that there might be a robbery.

I'm not remotely trying to justify the shooting, but hell man, this isn't blinking rocket science, you can't walk around behaving like that. Even if this hadn't ended tragically I would call this guy out for behaving like a complete idiot.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
I haven't been shot, or threatened with being shot, or been in any similar situation where my life would be at risk. Safety first. I even walk away when they come to refill the ATM. I'm not standing there while there is a risk that there might be a robbery.

I'm not remotely trying to justify the shooting, but hell man, this isn't blinking rocket science, you can't walk around behaving like that. Even if this hadn't ended tragically I would call this guy out for behaving like a complete idiot .
Of course. In all your posts you spend 90% of your time condemning the actions of the victim. ZoomZoom. Your nick says it all. Enough said. Next time a black man is shot in the back by a white man, remember that. Even more so if the black man did not commit any crime whatsoever. #Racist #SoSad

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Of course. In all your posts you spend 90% of your time condemning the actions of the victim. ZoomZoom. Your nick says it all. Enough said. Next time a black man is shot in the back by a white man, remember that. Even more so if the black man did not commit any crime whatsoever. #Racist #SoSad
So you don't see anything wrong with going around swearing at people, taking their car keys away from them, and acting like the police when you are not the police? And then to add to the stupid actions, when the guy pulled a gun and started shooting at his car, instead of driving away, he continues to yell out the window, telling him to shoot his bakkie?

I'm sorry but that all adds up to epically stupid in my book. And I don't care what colour he is. If it the colours were reversed but the behaviour was the same I would say the exact same thing.

Don't provoke people.
Don't swear.
Don't get involved when there is a suspected crime.
Don't cause kak with a guy with a gun.

For crying out loud do none of you practice common sense when it comes to being safe?

Knyro

Honorary Master
So you don't see anything wrong with going around swearing at people, taking their car keys away from them, and acting like the police when you are not the police? And then to add to the stupid actions, when the guy pulled a gun and started shooting at his car, instead of driving away, he continues to yell out the window, telling him to shoot his bakkie?

I'm sorry but that all adds up to epically stupid in my book. And I don't care what colour he is. If it the colours were reversed but the behaviour was the same I would say the exact same thing.

Don't provoke people.
Don't swear.
Don't get involved when there is a suspected crime.
Don't cause kak with a guy with a gun.

For crying out loud do none of you practice common sense when it comes to being safe?
Too many internet tough guys around here. Shooting your mouth off and being hot-headed online is one thing. But in real-life, especially in a country as dangerous as SA is asking for trouble. One day you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Not a chance in hell am I shouting at a person with a bloody gun then taunting him, daring him to shoot me, irrespective if I'm at fault or not.

Last edited: