Self defence will not be a valid reason to own a gun in SA under a newly-revived draft law

Should "self defence" continue to be a valid reason for owning a firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 580 95.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 4.3%

• Total voters

rvZA

Executive Member
Yeah, only in South Africa, the country with the highest crime rate in the world, the country with the most violent people in the world, where a women is raped every few seconds, where a house is invaded every few seconds, where people are robbed every few seconds, where people are shot and killed every few seconds, where crimnals are in possession of up to an estimated 9 million illegal firearms, only in this country are the leaders so bright that they will take away your rights to own a gun for self-defense.

This has long been the plan of the ANC - disarm the public. Then they can take land, steal and do what they want. If anyone complain, they will line you and your family up in the streets and shoot you all in the head.

This should go to the concourt to be tested. And, if they agree, it is time to flee this nest.

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
Nonsense. Lock your bedroom door at night and you have all the time in the world.

Otherwise you carry your gun on you at all times. If you leave it in the safe it is useless.

Locked bedroom doesn't help your children in another room.

Best have your gun ready always - legal or illegal, depending on if this law becomes reality.

Jladan

Nonsense. Lock your bedroom door at night and you have all the time in the world.

Otherwise you carry your gun on you at all times. If you leave it in the safe it is useless.

This is the only reason I actually would want a gun, we have a pretty secure zombie door separating our sleeping quarters from the rest of house , if someone get through there I want to be able to defend my family. In most I the er situations I feel having a gun is pretty risky as it’s almost impossible to maintain perfect situational awareness the entire time

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Locked bedroom doesn't help your children in another room.

Best have your gun ready always - legal or illegal, depending on if this law becomes reality.

Yes, they can lock their door as well and you all have keys for all the doors.
Obviously if you have toddlers then you can't but then you need to put a barrier like a security gate to fence off the bedroom area. And then motion detectors to alert you to intruders.

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Not amused...

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I've been in this situation, and you wouldn't have time to go get a weapon.
You need a monitoring system to alert you before they get into your house.

I was also in a similar situation. 2 guys jumped over my back wall at night and they were looking through my window with a torch. My security beam alerted me as soon as they were over the wall and in less than a minute I was able to get my gun from the safe. The next thing they saw was me standing there with a gun pointed at them through the window. They ran like hell. Luckily I didnt have to shoot but would have if they got inside or if my life was in danger.

Without a gun, what do you have to protect yourself.

Stop, or I'll say stop again.

Caliph

I remember when this came up a few years ago, Bheki Cele said one of the main motivations for this was to reduce illegal firearms and violent crime. Are people that are using guns for murder, robberies, CIT heists, hijackings etc. going through the long, tedious process of obtaining a firearm legally in South Africa? Mind boggling

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I don't own a gun.

A single mother with children need to be able to protect herself and her children from unwanted intruders.

A farmer need to be able to protect himself and his family from intruders.

A wheelchair-bound person need to be able to protect him/herself from intruders.

All that will be accomplished with this law is that people will not be able to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Ask yourself - is this something the criminal element is pushing?
all the reasons you stated are legitimate reasons for owning and or retaining a gun due to the usage of the word protect.
A gun is a tool for protection of your own life, and for protection of the lives of your loved ones etc , to protect life limb and property.
Its is in the wording, of defence versus protection., a small but subtle difference, however in the eyes of the law that distinction is important.
Defensive actions are things you do to to reduce the chances of harm, damage etc drive at the speed limit, lock your doors, put burglar bars/alarms in your house etc.
Protective measures are things you do to prevent injury or death such as wear a seat belt, wear a crash helmet, rope up while climbing, or put yourself in harms way to prevent a loved one from being injured or hurt.
Difference in wording and meaning.

CB40

Expert Member
Unfortunately it's not a constitutional right in SA.
What constitutional rights do we have anyway?
We no longer live in a democratic society.The Cancer pigs have already destroyed that for all of us

Hellhound105

Executive Member
If you see what a mess the CFR is at the moment. Explains why almost nothing is being done.

Waiting on this to go through so the dindu nuffins can decline everything perhaps?

Vorastra

Executive Member
I don't own a gun.

A single mother with children need to be able to protect herself and her children from unwanted intruders.

A farmer need to be able to protect himself and his family from intruders.

A wheelchair-bound person need to be able to protect him/herself from intruders.

All that will be accomplished with this law is that people will not be able to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Ask yourself - is this something the criminal element is pushing?
If I was being conspiratorial, I'd say the government wants it to be easier for people, who are doing ok, to be robbed by those who aren't.

How else can you explain these laws that always seem to favour criminals.