Self defence will not be a valid reason to own a gun in SA under a newly-revived draft law

Should "self defence" continue to be a valid reason for owning a firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 584 95.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 4.3%

• Total voters

Milano

Honorary Master
They don't need to arrest everyone. However, will you be able to use the "illegal" gun freely to defend yourself against intruders?
What is an illegal firearm in SA? In a country in which the Kinnear investigation uncovered SAPS members fraudulently issuing firearm licences it becomes evident that the boundary between legal and illegal continues to blur when organs of the state are so entirely corrupt. Making legal firearm ownership illegal for self defence will only draw the few remaining law abiding sections of the population into the general lawlessness that has overrun the country.

Oldfut

I imagine there is a major rush on gunshops in KZN anyway. Buying weapons and restocking ammunition. I may well be finding out.

George Netherby

Expert Member
I imagine there is a major rush on gunshops in KZN anyway. Buying weapons and restocking ammunition. I may well be finding out.
My trainer has gone from 3 classes a week to 6. I went to a basic handgun training and there were 30 people in attendance. South African citizens have seen what danger they are in, and have made a move to arm themselves.

alanB

My opinion of the existing SA Firearm regulations is that they are actually reasonable, if a little overly bureaucratic. (But not the proposed amendments - which are completely unacceptable IMO, we should do what we can to make sure those are squashed).

At present, you have to pass a reasonably comprehensive competence test, and apply for a licence before you can own a firearm.

However as the photo in the post above shows, the SAPS are just completely overwhelmed by the bureaucracy inherent in those regulations. They should drastically increase their staffing and systems, at the very least.

So the problem does not lie in the actual laws - as usual it lies in poor management and incompetence of the government departments tasked with enacting those laws.

We should do what we can to point out the real problem and do what we can to solve that. I heard at one time there were suggestions to outsource the actual administration of licence application process to a private organisation - does anyone know what happened to that?

If home affairs can outsource its process to the banks, surely something similar could be done here?

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
For me its not about the gun, I don't own one, however what goes with this, a trend the world over.
Poor dissipline in general leads to over complicated laws, red tape etc, difficult to figure out even those in the know differ on opinion in the final decission.

It is as if a heaven for criminals are created the world over, it looks the scale has tipped. Its tragic that a honest person just in the vicinity of a criminal can become a criminal, like the criminal enter your premices, vehicle, private space, ready to rob, murder you(Primary event), and you with no such thoughts to begin with are faced with a sudden mindshift and reflex situation not thought about. Now you kill or injure the criminal, immediately the criminal becomes innocent, and you the honest man face months, years of nightmare life 2ndary to the primary event.

Blue Shirt

It takes about 7 months currently to get your license despite those piles of papers.
I have been waiting 14 months now for my licence renewals, still nothing in sight.

It is possible that they only process new applications now and let the renewals rot due to the backlog.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
I have been waiting 14 months now for my licence renewals, still nothing in sight.

It is possible that they only process new applications now and let the renewals rot due to the backlog.

I heard they are prioritising the amnesty applications.

But don't licence renewals take place at Provincial? Only Competency renewals go to CFR.

But 14 months sheesh, eina... It's time you get a hold of your DFO and get them to do a search, or phone CFR or something.

I'm sure you know about this site where you can do a search with your details https://www.saps.gov.za/services/firearm_status_enquiry.php

There is also an app for your phone called "Where's My App" where you can track your app's status.

Join www.gunsite.co.za and ask some questions there if you don't come right.

Blue Shirt

I have checked numerous times on the SAPS website, all I ever get is "not processed yet".

I could care less about the delay though. As far as I am concerned, I have valid licences with proof of applying for the renewals. If CFR takes longer than 10 years to renew them (I have mostly sec16 licences), it saves me the hassle of doing all that paperwork again.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I would hazard a guess that it doesn't matter how long the saps take to process the applications, so long as they're submitted before the new law gets signed in then the option of self defense is entirely legally valid and cannot be used as a reason to deny the application.
I better get cracking then.

GrootVoet

I would say at least a year and then untold years after that while it's stuck in court.

With what happened in KZN where communities had to protect themselves the proposed bill wil get a lot of head wind. It is evident that government no longer have the ability to protect its law abiding citizens from those not abiding the law. Hope our courts will see it also like that.

Thugscub

Expert Member
The twats from GFSA will be at your door protecting you and your family.
Oi GFSA where were you when the s h i t hit the fan in Durban?
Adelle darling where were you and your brave soldiers?
Cowering in your house in Cape Town that's where you were.
Now you and your fellow useless twats want to take away the last object to protect ourselves.
Catch a reality check you stupid lefty twats.