Self defence will not be a valid reason to own a gun in SA under a newly-revived draft law

Should "self defence" continue to be a valid reason for owning a firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 587 95.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 4.2%

• Total voters

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
With what happened in KZN where communities had to protect themselves the proposed bill wil get a lot of head wind. It is evident that government no longer have the ability to protect its law abiding citizens from those not abiding the law. Hope our courts will see it also like that.

Its been evident for ages that our communities largely have to protect themselves.

The issue of course is going to be the courts, and whether our polices inability to protect the citizens is a big enough reason to stop the new law in its tracks.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Its been evident for ages that our communities largely have to protect themselves.

The issue of course is going to be the courts, and whether our polices inability to protect the citizens is a big enough reason to stop the new law in its tracks.
The problem is, I feel, that simply stopping this new law is not enough. Our right to self defence should include the right to own a firearm- this trend needs not merely be stopped, but pushed in the opposite direction. Otherwise, it's still pretty much useless.

alanB

I think people need to start pushing back quite heavily on this issue, and not simply be passive.

The recent riots show exactly what the real issue is.

Most police who came past when we were out protecting our suburb were supportive. Most people understand the issue. So there is a large number of people who are not happy with this new proposed law.

People need to get off their butts and stop allowing the government to just do as it pleases.

Glock26

Expert Member
The Self Defense thing really is a small part of this, and I think is the red herring. The Govt will capitulate and "give us" the SD licenses back, and pass a bunch of the other laws that will eventually be just as bad.
They want to restrict the amount and types of guns imported and exported. So what SD gun are you going to buy if they don't allow the import, and what ammo are you going to use if they block imports? You can't reload, because there is no powder, they will block imports of primers, and are banning reloading anyways.
No more collectors. Gone. ALL collectors guns gone. Billions of rands of guns gone. No more deactivated weapons like semi and full auto deacts. Gone.
No more black powder guns. They need licenses again, and since they are only opening one slot for a BP gun...the rest have to go.
Security companies need contracts BEFORE they can get guns. How do you get a contract if you don't have licenses?
And a lot more. Don't let the SD provisions fixate you. There will be no shops to buy SD guns from if the other stuff passes.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The Self Defense thing really is a small part of this, and I think is the red herring. The Govt will capitulate and "give us" the SD licenses back, and pass a bunch of the other laws that will eventually be just as bad.
They want to restrict the amount and types of guns imported and exported. So what SD gun are you going to buy if they don't allow the import, and what ammo are you going to use if they block imports? You can't reload, because there is no powder, they will block imports of primers, and are banning reloading anyways.
No more collectors. Gone. ALL collectors guns gone. Billions of rands of guns gone. No more deactivated weapons like semi and full auto deacts. Gone.
No more black powder guns. They need licenses again, and since they are only opening one slot for a BP gun...the rest have to go.
Security companies need contracts BEFORE they can get guns. How do you get a contract if you don't have licenses?
And a lot more. Don't let the SD provisions fixate you. There will be no shops to buy SD guns from if the other stuff passes.

Of course there are a myriad of ways/means that the government will try and fsck this... but we have to start the battle somewhere and SD is that point.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
That's why I said the whole trend, not just SD in particular.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Situation report. Attack on Police Station: Tsineng
Tsineng Cas 11/07/2021.
Robbery with firearm.

On 2021/07/31 at about 21:40 shift D consisting of 2 members was on duty. Cst Saul in Csc and Cst Moseki was the vehicle driver. At the time of the incident
Cst Saul (Female) was alone in Csc when 3 unknown male persons, Tswana speaking, entered the CSC. They asked if this was Tsineng police station and two of the three just jumped over the counter and took out a firearm and pointed it to Cst Saul. They asked for firearms. The keys to the safe were in cst Saul pocket, and she opened the safe after they demanded the keys at gun point. The unknown suspects took 3× R5 rifles with 2 magazines and 37 rounds ammunition, 2x 12bore pump actions with 103 rounds of ammunition, 8x9mm pistols with 5 magazines and 98 rounds of ammunition.
They then tied the member with cable ties, closed the door and left the station. The member didn’t hear any vehicle leaving the station. The member managed to losen the cable ties on her hands and managed to call Capt Setlabi, the SC. The suspects also took the member’s cellphone with nr 0766853672. The suspects are unknown to the member and it was the first time she saw them in this area.

The cellphone was traced to a nearby village, Maipeying and the area was search by a multi disciplinary team. No successes obtained as yet.

Operations are ongoing.
Report compile by
Lt Col Moorcroft

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Would upvote this post a million times.
This is exactly what I have been saying but the majority can't think further than their 1 pistol they have.

Dont say "Firearms for self defence", click the bill in its entirety.

If shops close down due to only selling a few SD weapons, where are we going to get parts and ammunitions.

Why should I not be allowed to reload ammo for myself.
Why should I have fewer than lets say 25 firearms. ("Limiting amount of firearms for sport shooting")
Why should I not have more than 200 cartridges/shells.

I fear the day we lose access to semi-auto rifles as well.

qscwbt

Expert Member
I think we should lobby for full auto FA ;-)
Would love a classic Uzi, Saw M249 oooo MG42 or Vicker or a tommy mmmmm

Pin on daddy's girl

qscwbt

Expert Member
M134 Minigun Vs. AR-500 Body Armor Plating - How Does It Hold Up With Heavy  Fire? - World War Wings

Hellhound105

Executive Member
I am sure some people are trolling right:

1627902632065.png

This person approves the new amendment aka taking away self defence as a reason.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
So now I have a question.

What else can be done? Keyboard warrioring done and did my daily prayer to Martin Hood.

Surely we can do more to ensure we don't lose on this.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
The scary thing is that this is all part of RET. The disarming of legal guns and late security deployment. The goal is to empower criminals/freedom fighters.

George Netherby

Expert Member
Afternoon All, I have been away for a few days.
You will see in the media shortly that there has been a large theft of firearms by police officials from the Norwood saps 13 store .
This is the very same police force that do not criminally charge their members for losing firearms and who hold us civilians to a higher standard of responsibility then themselves. Ironic . Martin Hood.