Self defence will not be a valid reason to own a gun in SA under a newly-revived draft law

Should "self defence" continue to be a valid reason for owning a firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 592 95.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 4.2%

• Total voters

Defonotaltaccount

It is not that much of an inconvenience, all you do is exchange the hand canon for a shotgun and go on a hunting trip once a year. AFIK having a firearm for hunting purposes is perfectly acceptable. You can still use it in a pinch if you need to save your family.

You could also consider a high-powered air rifle. There are ways to game the system.
Pointing an air rifle at someone and not actually using it for legitimate self defense would result in being charged under the FCA...........for an air rifle, think about that, you are trading an effective means of self defense, ie: a real firearm for one which may or may not work whilst losing all benefits of a real firearm, and being subject to the same harsh penalties of misuse of a firearm.
Why didnt you just say buy a black powder firearm for self defense ?
They work more reliably to stop threats and are just as slow to reload, and you would probably be more responsible since it is an actual firearm, whereas air rifles do not generally get the respect they deserve as per FCA.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
It is not that much of an inconvenience, all you do is exchange the hand canon for a shotgun and go on a hunting trip once a year. AFIK having a firearm for hunting purposes is perfectly acceptable. You can still use it in a pinch if you need to save your family.

You could also consider a high-powered air rifle. There are ways to game the system.
Never forget the old rule: if you point/threaten with any potentially lethal weapon, you better be prepared to use it meaningfully - otherwise you just raise the stakes and the attacker takes you out.

Unless we are talking large-calibre (0.30in/7.62mm or bigger), no matter what the muzzled velocity, no air rifle has useful stoping power to be a reliable self-defense weapon. Of course, anything above 0.177in/5.5mm) requires a license anyway and self defence would not qualify for one. As @CorneliusCenturion suggests, a shotgun is admirable for the purpose. Alternatively, go for an air "bow" - at least hunting arrows have reasonable stopping power.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
So I tried to check on the status of my license renewal, guess what, the SAPS site is down! Why am I not surprised. What actually works when the government is concerned?:mad:
Corruption seems to work pretty well!;)

Wary GOM

Expert Member
I see if a person handed in a firearm and the police lose it, cuntele counts it as the public loses it.

Will see if I can get proof.
"Lose" might be loosely used here - resell, perhaps? Before you hand in a firearm make absolutely sure it is completely broken, unusable.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
You can't do that... It has to be fully functional so they can do 'ballistics test'
Like so many other things that happen here, there is some sense in this - check whether that firearm has been used in a crime, for instance. But I still go by my use of "lose" in quotes. The bottom line is that I don't trust government departments to keep adequate control of operations and "inventory".

[Then again, I shouldn't get excited by arms handed in by the public - there have been enough reports of police arms stolen, armories broken into and reports of police firearms used in farm attacks that there are enough firearms available to criminals already.]

Howdy

Expert Member
Unless the reason you're handing it in is because it was damaged beyond repair in an accident.

Like falling into a hydraulic press…
... or "This is me after I had this little accident in the shop."

extra_large-1514471627-cover-image.jpg