Self-maintained alarm - insurance loophole yes or no?

neoprema

Executive Member
I'm wondering if someone who's worked for an insurance company knows:

If this clause is in my insurance policy: "THERE IS NO THEFT COVER IF THE SECURITY DEVICES ARE NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED, MAINTAINED AND USED."

And I have an alarm system installed in my house (Texecom) thats fully operational, tested, linked to ADT, outdoor and indoor sensors, glass sensors etc etc.

BUT - i installed it myself and maintain it myself. Would insurance companies view that as "not properly installed?" Since I would not have one of those shiny installation certificates the ADT Contractors rob you of 500x the alarm price for?

TheTraveler

I just ended up saying no alarm. It's mainly for our safety and armed response.

The cost without was not that much in my case as I stay in an estate.

Katelknaap

It would be up to them to show/prove that it wasn't properly installed or maintained. Very vague contractual language for sure. With TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) it would be a hard sell to rely on that clause (alone) to reject a theft claim.

Are u sure that clause applies to your Contents cover? It sounds more like it might be from a Vehicle section.

RedViking

Nord of the South
If they allow, just specify no alarm. Not sure how it effects the premium.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Try never having an alarm compulsory - murphies law.
If you insist on having the alarm clause in force with an alarm as a requirement then I would suggest you request they survey your premises and get acceptance that way.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I put no alarm on my policy. There was like a +-R30 difference in the monthly premium for having it declared and linked to armed response.

Would rather have no alarm specified and pay the little extra instead of them trying to weasel their way out of paying due to a technicality.