Selling a paid off financed car

airborne

Executive Member
No you don't need a RWC to do the change of ownership, they will do the full and complete change of ownership including giving you the new logbook with no RWC.

The caveat is they won't renew the license disc until a RWC is submitted and that can be anytime before the existing license disc expires just as long as it is submitted before the license renewal comes up.

Which is why I prefaced my statement by asking if the license had enough time remaining on it.

Colin62

Executive Member
No you don't need a RWC to do the change of ownership, they will do the full and complete change of ownership including giving you the new logbook with no RWC.

The caveat is they won't renew the license disc until a RWC is submitted and that can be anytime before the existing license disc expires just as long as it is submitted before the license renewal comes up.

Which is why I prefaced my statement by asking if the license had enough time remaining on it.
You're still smoking that same stuff?

THE PREVIOUS OWNERS LICENSE IS NOT VALID ONCE YOU HAVE CHANGED OWNERSHIP.

It doesn't matter what date it has on it, it is void. Not valid. Illegal. It's as much use as a piece of very big confetti. It's draw it's last breath, bereft of life, and quite possibly even nailed to the perch.

Gazzacpt

It doesn't matter what date it has on it, it is void. Not valid. Illegal. It's as much use as a piece of very big confetti. It's draw it's last breath, bereft of life, and quite possibly even nailed to the perch.
Correct. Well this is what happened everytime I got change of ownership done. RWC and new disc. Old disc not valid.

airborne

Executive Member

Still making unsubstantiated bs claims :D

What I said is true, just as long as the number plate doesn't change, but in this instance it won't, which is why I brought it up.

Take heed and profit.

airborne

Executive Member
Correct. Well this is what happened everytime I got change of ownership done. RWC and new disc. Old disc not valid.
You can do change of ownership without a RWC but they won't renew the license disc until you submit a RWC.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

What logbook?

Swa

Honorary Master
The car IS registered in your name, Wesbank is named as the custodian. Don't know if you can sell without changing that but it is an easy process. Just take the registration papers to them and they will do it for you and give you the new certificate.

And PLEASE make sure when you sell it you complete the paper (don't know if it's the blue or the yellow one) to take it off your name and hand it in PERSONALLY.

Swa

Honorary Master
What logbook?
Apparently what some people call what is properly termed the registration certificate. Don't know why since it's neither a book nor a log of anything. Got caught by this when someone mentioned it here and they weren't very forthcoming to explain what they meant either.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Apparently what some people call what is properly termed the registration certificate. Don't know why since it's neither a book nor a log of anything. Got caught by this when someone mentioned it here and they weren't very forthcoming to explain what they meant either.
That's just bizarre.

Colin62

Executive Member
Still making unsubstantiated bs claims :D

What I said is true, just as long as the number plate doesn't change, but in this instance it won't, which is why I brought it up.

Take heed and profit.
Actually I checked this with the manager of the licensing department in town, and as soon as you change ownership, your existing license is void.

I really don't care if you choose to carry on breaking the law, it doesn't affect me in any way at all, but it pisses me off that you insist on giving factually incorrect advice to people which could cause them to be driving an unlicensed and therefore uninsured car.

Of course you're not going to accept that even though it's quite easy to verify for yourself, so I suppose I can either start ignoring your pig-headed stupidity or keep telling others that you're wrong and let them work out for themselves who is talking rubbish.

Colin62

Executive Member
You can do change of ownership without a RWC but they won't renew the license disc until you submit a RWC.
And the old license disc is void as soon as you change ownership, so although it looks like your car is licensed, it isn't. It is on the road illegally, and you carry the full responsibility for that, including the risk that your insurance company will refuse to pay out any claim while you're driving an unlicensed car.

airborne

Executive Member
Actually I checked this with the manager of the licensing department in town, and as soon as you change ownership, your existing license is void.

I really don't care if you choose to carry on breaking the law, it doesn't affect me in any way at all, but it pisses me off that you insist on giving factually incorrect advice to people which could cause them to be driving an unlicensed and therefore uninsured car.

Of course you're not going to accept that even though it's quite easy to verify for yourself, so I suppose I can either start ignoring your pig-headed stupidity or keep telling others that you're wrong and let them work out for themselves who is talking rubbish.
Lol coming in so hot and defensive, needing to make personal attacks, obviously because you are talking bs again and feel insecure. As you often are.

I'm in the Western Cape and the local licensing dept confirmed you are legally entitled to drive a vehicle with its existing valid license disc after doing change of ownership up until that license disc expires, that's as long as the vehicles number plate doesn't change.

I'm assuming that applies country wide as I learnt about this process from a car dealer in Durban.

They will not renew the license disc until a RWC is supplied.

If you need to do change of ownership and the license disc is not expiring soon and you are planning on selling the vehicle shortly thereafter, as the op wants to do, its handy not needing to go through the pita RWC process needlessly.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
If you need to do change of ownership and the license disc is not expiring soon and you are planning on selling the vehicle shortly thereafter, as the op wants to do, its handy not needing to go through the pita RWC process needlessly.
The op won't be doing change of ownership. Whatever happens afterward with the new owner is their problem.

Colin62

Executive Member
Lol coming in so hot and defensive, needing to make personal attacks, obviously because you are talking bs again and feel insecure. As you often are.

I'm in the Western Cape and the local licensing dept confirmed you are legally entitled to drive a vehicle with its existing valid license disc after doing change of ownership up until that license disc expires, that's as long as the vehicles number plate doesn't change.

I'm assuming that applies country wide as I learnt about this process from a car dealer in Durban.

They will not renew the license disc until a RWC is supplied.

You mistake my deep disdain for you as defensive. I'd normally be a lot more upfront about what I think of you, but I'll get an infraction if I call you an irresponsible arsehole straight out.

Bottom line, you're wrong, and you're giving bad advice.

airborne

Executive Member
You mistake my deep disdain for you as defensive. I'd normally be a lot more upfront about what I think of you, but I'll get an infraction if I call you an irresponsible arsehole straight out.

Bottom line, you're wrong, and you're giving bad advice.
No need for any whiny personal attacks if you were confident in your beliefs.

You have been spewing this bs on this and the other thread. The fact remains a license disc is valid until it expires or the license plate changes, that is most definitely factually accurate and not in dispute.