Selling a vehicle - potential buyer and price drop request?

I'm selling a vehicle, and had a potential buyer drop by. He brought his mechanic and gave it a good inspection and mechanic recons its running great, good condition etc. Basically he got the thumbs up from his mechanic. It is due for a minor service and needs new front tyres but even so he said he would get it serviced regardless if he took it. He has made an offer which is fine, but I have said I will meet him halfway there - so halfway between his price and my asking price.

Question is...for wear and tear items like tyre replacement, a minor service that's needed soon - should I have reduced my asking price when posting the advert because of these items (is this the norm)?

Cheers

UrBaN963

Executive Member
I'm selling a vehicle, and had a potential buyer drop by. He brought his mechanic and gave it a good inspection and mechanic recons its running great, good condition etc. Basically he got the thumbs up from his mechanic. It is due for a minor service and needs new front tyres but even so he said he would get it serviced regardless if he took it. He has made an offer which is fine, but I have said I will meet him halfway there - so halfway between his price and my asking price.

Question is...for wear and tear items like tyre replacement, a minor service that's needed soon - should I have reduced my asking price when posting the advert because of these items (is this the norm)?

Cheers
You can ask whatever price you like for the vehicle. Whilst a buyer may see less value due to impending costs (tyres, service), that's up to them to decide if it affects value in their eyes.

Depends though, if you're 3000km overdue on your service, then that also indicates an owner who doesn't look after the car and then, for me at least, would make me a little less inclined to pay full dollar.

Mosgi

In my opinion, I always let the negotiations & conditions define what the offer will be. So for example, a reasonable cost to return the vehicle to appropriate condition. R120k asking less R10k for tyres, less R2.5k per panel for any dents offer is R107.5k as my first offer.

Iver found getting full asking is tough. Plenty of kidnappers hoping for a quick deal, often followed by offers for swaps.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
You need to set your price between trade and retail . If it’s a car with top resale value (like VW/Toyota/merc) , set it closer to retail and then be open to reasonable negotiation.