• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Sending an auto reply to certain domains from cPanel / Webmail

Trompie67

Expert Member
Not 100% sure how to word this or where to post it - mods feel free to move if it's in the wrong place.

Sorry if it's a dumb question :)

OK, so here's what I want to do:

fred@joesoap.com emails us. I'd like to set up an autoresponder that will reply to his email saying something along the lines of "mail returned due to invalid email address/recipient email address does not exist".

I'd like to do this at mail server level if possible - before the email ever reaches our inbox on our laptops.

Is this possible to do for certain sender domains & let everything else still come through?

Thanks in advance.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Not 100% sure how to word this or where to post it - mods feel free to move if it's in the wrong place.

Sorry if it's a dumb question :)

OK, so here's what I want to do:

fred@joesoap.com emails us. I'd like to set up an autoresponder that will reply to his email saying something along the lines of "mail returned due to invalid email address/recipient email address does not exist".

I'd like to do this at mail server level if possible - before the email ever reaches our inbox on our laptops.

Is this possible to do for certain sender domains & let everything else still come through?

Thanks in advance.
To do this at server level, I assume you have root access to fiddle with exim... Little rusty on exim, but the basic should still be the same or this should at least set you on the right path..

exim should have a section called something like acl_rcpt: with a number of blocks, starting with accept, deny, require and some others.. add the following new block and edit as needed:

deny condition = ${lookup{$sender_address}nwildlsearch{/path/black.list}{yes}}
message = You have been rejected muhahahahahaha

where /path/black.list contains a list of your recipients to be rejected under the above condition..

I think this is still fairly relevant, but at the very least you should be looking at ACL's to do this..

Trompie67

Expert Member
Aaaaand I'm lost :)

Thanks for the info - I was hoping it was doable at cPanel level. It's a shared server, so I doubt I'll be given root access!

UssOP

Want the bounce back to be sent to a specific sender or just in general? Can always block the guy if you don't want him to send you emails.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Aaaaand I'm lost :)

Thanks for the info - I was hoping it was doable at cPanel level. It's a shared server, so I doubt I'll be given root access!
It's is doable at the cpanel level and at a global level for all emails, provided your host exposes the function.. It's called Global Email Filters..

Will allow you to create a rule to match a from address and discard it accordingly..

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
It's is doable at the cpanel level and at a global level for all emails, provided your host exposes the function.. It's called Global Email Filters..

Will allow you to create a rule to match a from address and discard it accordingly..
Yip, looks like it

c65df8a402.png

Trompie67

Expert Member