Sending lots of email - not spam

maeztro

Is trying to assist a school in setting up a system to send email to the parents. They have an adsl account with mweb.

They are using a system called pencilbox to do all their administration. They are sending two types of email.

The first is general notices, with the same content going to all parents. This happens very frequently.

The second is family specific, with each parent recieving information specific to their kid, for example bills. This happens less frequently, but at least once a month.

The total number of addresses per sending varies, depending on the situation, but is less than a 1000 and often more than 500.

There is constant issues with this; and I have not been able to pinpoint the problem, but suspect it has to do with the fact that this is seen as bulk mail by many systems and then gets dumped or rejected. All systems work and normal single emails function normally.

So the question is this:
What is preferable - sending via mweb (ISP), or via specific domain smtp servers (not mweb)?
What are the limits on sending email via mweb and at what point will you run into trouble?
Should one upgrade to a email marketing package?

Repeat - this is not an attempt at sending SPAM; this is legitimate emails.

Thanks for feedback.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
MWeb's SMTP throttles to 100 messages per 10 minutes if memory serves.

Ideally for any kind of mailer's i'd use a hosted SMTP mailer service to avoid blacklisting issues and ISP throttles

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Is trying to assist a school in setting up a system to send email to the parents. They have an adsl account with mweb.

They are using a system called pencilbox to do all their administration. They are sending two types of email.

The first is general notices, with the same content going to all parents. This happens very frequently.

The second is family specific, with each parent recieving information specific to their kid, for example bills. This happens less frequently, but at least once a month.

The total number of addresses per sending varies, depending on the situation, but is less than a 1000 and often more than 500.

There is constant issues with this; and I have not been able to pinpoint the problem, but suspect it has to do with the fact that this is seen as bulk mail by many systems and then gets dumped or rejected. All systems work and normal single emails function normally.

So the question is this:
What is preferable - sending via mweb (ISP), or via specific domain smtp servers (not mweb)?
What are the limits on sending email via mweb and at what point will you run into trouble?
Should one upgrade to a email marketing package?

Repeat - this is not an attempt at sending SPAM; this is legitimate emails.

Thanks for feedback.

www.mailerman.co.za

Cause SMTP servers will limit how much mail you can send.

maeztro

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Your thoughts are much appreciated and mirrors most of the basic conclusions we have made. Any more ideas welcome.

Logo

Setup your own SMTP server, set the server to throttle mail so that it only send x number of message per x minutes depending on what Mweb allows.

This is all those proxies do. Some of those proxies are also not operated by honest people. They harvest the email addresses that you as a client send the mails to and then sell the addresses off to spammers. I am sure your school's parents will be happy when they find out the school is the reason their address is now suddenly listed on a number of spamming lists :)

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Your thoughts are much appreciated and mirrors most of the basic conclusions we have made. Any more ideas welcome.

Might be easiest to send out the emails in batches of 99. My dad once had to do the same thing and it worked for him.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Setup your own SMTP server, set the server to throttle mail so that it only send x number of message per x minutes depending on what Mweb allows.

This is all those proxies do. Some of those proxies are also not operated by honest people. They harvest the email addresses that you as a client send the mails to and then sell the addresses off to spammers. I am sure your school's parents will be happy when they find out the school is the reason their address is now suddenly listed on a number of spamming lists :)

+1