Sending under R10k to the UK?

saor

Honorary Master
Easiest way to send an amount less than R10 000 (probably around R7000) to someone in the UK? I'm with FNB. Don't want to use crypto. Haven't sent international before so just checking. It's for family.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Cool, thanks for that. Will probably be the easiest. Will PM later once I've got all the details.
OK. Pm me their sort code and account number and the rand amount, I'll reply with my fnb account and a pound amount, if you want to go ahead just do the payment and I'll do this side when I get the notification.

RedViking

Nord of the South

RedViking

Nord of the South
For a one time thing I would just send straight to their bank account using the Swift code. Just make sure both parties when asked by bank or reserve bank whatever state it as a gift.

If it is a regular and long term thing, I would look at something like Wise.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
For a one time thing I would just send straight to their bank account using the Swift code. Just make sure both parties when asked by bank or reserve bank whatever state it as a gift.

If it is a regular and long term thing, I would look at something like Wise.
Too many questions

Did Sinbad ask questions to Saor?

No, nothing, the money laundering transaction is now complete and everyone is happy

mr_norris

Expert Member
Shyft app is cheaper than using a normal swift transaction through FNB. At least that's what I've experienced when sending dollars to US accounts.

I have found the exchange rate with Shyft a bit cheaper than FNB. The swift commission / charge is also R300ish with me, where Shyft is a fixed rate (10 GBP / $14).

You could always go through the process on FNB to get an idea of costs. I think before you commit they give you a quote, but I don't remember if the quote includes the swift fee. Then just do a bit of maths with the Shyft app to compare. Shyft isn't something to be afraid of, they're Standard Bank.
I've yet to find a cheaper alternative.