Sentech switches off analogue TV transmissions above 694MHz

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Big step to free airwaves for 4G and 5G in South Africa

State-owned signal distributor Sentech has officially switched off all terrestrial analogue television transmissions above 694MHz, the Department of Communications and Digital Technologies announced Monday.

Communications minister Mondli Gungubele and his deputy Philly Mapulane flicked the ceremonial switch at Sentech’s Stellenbosch transmitter on 31 July 2023.

Big step to free airwaves for 4G and 5G in South Africa

State-owned signal distributor Sentech has officially switched off all terrestrial analogue television transmissions above 694MHz, the Department of Communications and Digital Technologies announced Monday.

Communications minister Mondli Gungubele and his deputy Philly Mapulane flicked the ceremonial switch at Sentech’s Stellenbosch transmitter on 31 July 2023.
Above or below, decide please...

You can take them out of the analogue, but you can't take the analogue out of them.

I don't usually like MP's but this minister is a surprisingly nice and humble person. I've met a few MP's now and this oke is the nicest by quite a margin.

Reactions: Jan
As I posted on the other thread, there is a weak SABC3 signal in CT on channel 62 which is 799Mhz. Not sure if they didn't get the memo (or someone is backfeeding on our communal TV antenna).

P.S. There is no such thing as analogue TV, it is analog (versus digital).

I don't usually like MP's but this minister is a surprisingly nice and humble person. I've met a few MP's now and this oke is the nicest by quite a margin.
if you get most of the "politician" scrapped off ......you'll find most of them are rather palatable ...no matter what their political hinterland

if you get most of the "politician" scrapped off ......you'll find most of them are rather palatable ...no matter what their political hinterland

Sadly I've now met a handful of mp's, cunts, the whole lot of them. If you scrape off the politician I'll rather not say what's underneath.

This one was a real surprise. Really pleasant guy. He also drives the cheapest car amongst the lot I've come across which also says a lot.

As I posted on the other thread, there is a weak SABC3 signal in CT on channel 62 which is 799Mhz. Not sure if they didn't get the memo (or someone is backfeeding on our communal TV antenna).

If that's true then it's hilarious as sentech had analogue written on their event program for yesterday.

If that's true then it's hilarious as sentech had analogue written on their event program for yesterday.

The technical term is analog, but analogue seems to be a universally used typo. OK, maybe it's just a British versus American English issue...

Last edited:
Thanks @Jan

Now for another article asking the networks what their plan is now with the new spectrum and how soon they are going to deploy?

Analogue is correct British English. Analog is an Americanism, like labour/labor.

SA being a former British colony, we tend to use British spelling, though both types of spelling have become widely used.

Neither is wrong though, prof.

Back