Serious traffic offences that can get you arrested on the spot

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Traffic violations that can get you arrested in South Africa

There are several serious traffic violations for which South African motorists can be arrested immediately.

MyBroadband recently spoke to Law for All legal expert Nolwazi Nqobile Mngadi and Automobile Association of South Africa (AA) spokesperson Layton Beard to learn more about these violations.

KikzAzz

Refusing or failing to comply with a lawful order given by an authorised officer. Is that what they call a bribe?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
"inconsiderate driving" - how does that justify arrest?
"failing to license a vehicle" - This is an administrative task. Doesn't justify arrest.

Reactions: Swa

S.Claus

Expert Member
Refusing or failing to comply with a lawful order given by an authorised officer. Is that what they call a bribe?
Baba wants his KFC

I’m also curious because there is 0% chance I’ll be stopping at night for a blue light vehicle.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Baba wants his KFC

I’m also curious because there is 0% chance I’ll be stopping at night for a blue light vehicle.
Yup, it is known in this country that you just put your hazards on when this happens and proceed cautiously to your nearest SAP office before stopping.
Skollies will drive away when they see what you're doing

deweyzeph

Executive Member

This is also very vague. What exactly constitutes a "lawful order"? For example, I see many traffic cops pulling people over where it is illegal to park a vehicle, like on a yellow line, or on the side of a highway.

Norrad

Expert Member
When I was in Japan the prefecture I stayed in used to physically punish anyone that drove inconsiderately. Hooting unnecessarily would result in the offender having a fog horn blown in their ears for a minute or so. Flashing headlights resulted in the officer flashing his torch in your eyes for five minutes. It always worked like a charm and people followed the law carefully. It was mostly out-of-towners getting punished.

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
New laws and threats don’t mean a damn thing. I’ve been back on the roads again this week and I’m not exaggerating when I say that someone runs a red at every light I stop for. Cars, trucks, busses and motorcycles.
Got to save those moron minutes and who is going to stop you anyway?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
New laws and threats don’t mean a damn thing. I’ve been back on the roads again this week and I’m not exaggerating when I say that someone runs a red at every light I stop for. Cars, trucks, busses and motorcycles.
Got to save those moron minutes and who is going to stop you anyway?
That is the thing, those people breaking the law will mostly get away with it.
The soft targets on the other hand...