Server Down More Than 12 HRS

Foxace

Afrihost - your server is down for more than 12 hrs !

We cannot get through to you for assistance!

Our emails return to senders that we dont exist!

We have lost much business, which prkbably does not matter to you!!

Give us an answer on what is being done or should we just move our service provider

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Sounds more like you forgot to pay your domain name invoice.

Have you checked that the domain is paid up?

Foxace

Yes, they have publicly advised of the issue and that they are working on it. Its 18HRS now!

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Major Seacom outage yesterday caused havoc with ISP's, especially re. DNS, which will affect email dramatically.

It was resolved around 8pm last night, but there could still be legacy issues around.

Of course I cannot say for sure that this is the issue in your case, just thought I'd mention it.

Tandor

I can confirm my hosting is still down this morning as from 11:46am on 1st Oct. Afrihost support engineers dont know whats going on or why its down and they cant give me any answers. All they know is the engineers are busy working on the problem with no ETA.

OCP

Expert Member
I can confirm my hosting is still down this morning as from 11:46am on 1st Oct. Afrihost support engineers dont know whats going on or why its down and they cant give me any answers. All they know is the engineers are busy working on the problem with no ETA.
Vote with your wallet.

No excuse for hosting to be down - move to a professional ISP rather.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Vote with your wallet.

No excuse for hosting to be down - move to a professional ISP rather.
All ISP's using Seacom, were completely down yesterday. VOX and Liquid also experienced major DNS issues because of it. This is why sites and email stopped working.

Luckily my ISP is back up since 8pm last night.

OCP

Expert Member
All ISP's using Seacom, were completely down yesterday. VOX and Liquid also experienced major DNS issues because of it. This is why sites and email stopped working.

Luckily my ISP is back up since 8pm last night.

VOX is ok for connectivity but I would not consider them for hosting.
Liquid Telecom I would not touch with a barge pole; the only way they could get worse if they were bought out by AH!

Professional hosting companies like Hetzner (now Xneelo) and absolutehosting.co.za managed to stay up :)
(needless to say my clients were not affected as i moved all of them away from AH years ago already after nothing but endless pain, suffering and incompetence.)

MEIOT

Expert Member
Why in the world would anyone want to put a business-critical service like email in the Afrihost basket is beyond me.
Or any ISP for that matter. It's almost 2020 - services from the likes of Microsoft and Google are available in this country and these are folks that actually specialize in this service.

Reactions: OCP

JDC1924

In fact their servers have been down since yesterday 11:30. They have gone dark. Websites are down and e-mail servers are down. They have not communicated any of this to the public. Pathetic!!

OCP

Expert Member
In fact their servers have been down since yesterday 11:30. They have gone dark. Websites are down and e-mail servers are down. They have not communicated any of this to the public. Pathetic!!

Make sure to sent them a traceroute ;-)

OCP

Expert Member
Why in the world would anyone want to put a business-critical service like email in the Afrihost basket is beyond me.
Or any ISP for that matter. It's almost 2020 - services from the likes of Microsoft and Google are available in this country and these are folks that actually specialize in this service.

AWS local servers will be online Q1 next year.

nb. Azure is not a full site yet; only limited services still.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Our email and 99% of our client's are with Online Exchange. But, if any client's domain is hosted with an ISP that was affected by the Seacom outage, those emails would not know where to go.

So, although Online Exchange is pretty much infallible and definitely the way to go, there are still possible points of failure.

aardvark67

Afrihost - your server is down for more than 12 hrs !

We cannot get through to you for assistance!

Our emails return to senders that we dont exist!

We have lost much business, which prkbably does not matter to you!!

Give us an answer on what is being done or should we just move our service provider
Been in the Que for over 30 Minutes . At least it gives me time to sign up with Hetzner. Afrihost is making me look bad . They have already cost me a major customer this year.

OCP

Expert Member
Been in the Que for over 30 Minutes . At least it gives me time to sign up with Hetzner. Afrihost is making me look bad . They have already cost me a major customer this year.

Was in the same boat a few years ago.
Their hosting is a joke; every day there would be problems with emails going missing / unable to access sites and support would not bother to read tickets *if* and when they bothered to reply.

Since moving all clients away to Hetzner and domains.co.za; have had a few password reset requests but otherwise no downtime or issues.

nb. you get what you pay for!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Ah... afrifail strikes again... dear OP, we learnt this hard lesson with them a couple of years back too

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I'm really sorry about the issues mentioned in this thread.

I've been away for a while so I didn't get to respond sooner. If there is anyone that is still experiencing downtime, please drop me a PM and I will make sure we get you back up.