Service Pack 3 ... Problems????

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I just installed windows service pack 3 after a clean installation of windows SP2....

Here's my questions?

Does SP3 include IE7 because after my installation xp still has IE6...and suddenly after SP3 install I can't do windows updates anymore (since they fail on installation after download)

????:confused:

The_Techie

Resident Techie
No it doesn't include Internet Explorer 7.

What is the reason given for the failed installation?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yes, I think I had heard about that being a problem. Systems that had not updated to IE7 before SP3 ran into problems. Not sure what the fix was though. Other than uninstalling SP3 and then upgrading to IE7, and then re-installing SP3, I am not sure what else you can do.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Yes, I think I had heard about that being a problem. Systems that had not updated to IE7 before SP3 ran into problems. Not sure what the fix was though. Other than uninstalling SP3 and then upgrading to IE7, and then re-installing SP3, I am not sure what else you can do.

It's not just IE7 but all the windows updates after SP3...they download but fail on install.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I've just read on some posts that it seems to be a common problem after installing SP3...there seems to be a patch fix that can be downloaded from Micro$oft that resolves the issue but I'm still looking 4 it

DarKWateR

Expert Member
got it fixed...thanks anyway...for those who wanted to know...you need to stop the update service and re-register the update DLL files

|tera|

Master of Messengers
The joys of XP and a new service pack :p

I still think SP2 was the best service pack Microsoft made, including Vista Sp1 (but it needs more work) ;)

Asha'man X

Expert Member
I have an issue at work where sometimes after installing, one of the 2 DOS windows gets into an error loop. This is something to do with Windows Script Host, but I can't narrow it down further. Perhaps it was the fact that the machines were cloned, or that I had used Autopatcher on them a while ago and updated Windows Script Host as well.

Service Pack is otherwise ok, but I'm getting tired of XP now. If you go read an article by Paul Thurrot at his WinSuperSite, you'll know where I'm coming from.

Gnome

Executive Member
got it fixed...thanks anyway...for those who wanted to know...you need to stop the update service and re-register the update DLL files

Or just integrate the SP3 update onto your Windows Installation source and avoid all the problems all together in the first place and save yourself some time ;)

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
When I installed SP3 I couldn't connect to the internet.

nocilah

Banned
i installed sp3 on my laptop with no problems, but i know of colleague who after installing sp3 also could not connect to the net.

risingtide

IIRC, the fix is to d/l IE7 from the MS web-site and not to use a branded version of IE7, i.e. one supplied by your ISP.