setting dns on router for roku but still not working

jdepp

I have a roku stick from the US and followed many guides on the internet to setup a smart DNS proxy to allow us to watch US channels like Disney and my Amazon Prime. It works on my pc where I can manually change the DNS settings but it does not on the roku. It still detects I am locally in SA.

Before I pay for the monthly DNS, I need to get this to work. I change the DNS settings on my router and restarted and followed the steps and many suggestions of resetting the roku stick and creating new roku accounts on a US based machine or IP. Still the same issue. Is it possible that there is some restriction by my ISP on this router? Another suggestion was to use DHCP server to assign ips as illustrated on this link:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-roku-changing-netflix-regions-quick-and-easy.1776722/

This is quite an old link and involves downloading and installing a DHCP server on your machine, assigning an IP to your stick and resetting everything else so it's safe to use your laptop back with your old ISP settings. I noticed that the router has the option to use DHCP and assign IPs but I tried this and am restricted to using 192.168.0.100-254. I cannot use an IP without the 192.168.0 prefix. Please does any one have any workable ideas? It is such a hassle to open prime on my laptop, connect it to the TV and then watch movies.

Thanks in advance.

Gothan

Expert Member
The problem is that the roku is hard coded to use 8.8.8.8. You will need to setup static routes to intercept those calls (there is a lot of different dns routes and ports you need to "catch") and point them to your new dns

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I posted a guide here recently that resolves this.

Basically you need Express VPN on a laptop, connected to a specific one of their servers in the US. You then generate a WiFi hotspot from that laptop that your Roku connects to.

This method works, I've been using it quite happily on my Roku :)

Genisys

Honorary Master

Basically you need Express VPN on a laptop, connected to a specific one of their servers in the US. You then generate a WiFi hotspot from that laptop that your Roku connects to.

Or you can buy another router (Mikrotik/Ubiquiti) that supports VPN's even better. Fast, power efficient and very difficult to set up in some instances.

jdepp

I will try this but just in case could you provide the link to your guide....quite a few posts you have.

crackersa

Honorary Master
The problem is that the roku is hard coded to use 8.8.8.8. You will need to setup static routes to intercept those calls (there is a lot of different dns routes and ports you need to "catch") and point them to your new dns
This is the easiest way to do it

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Btw, does the DNS method work for Hulu and Netflix? Seems they're stricter than the rest, but some VPNs still work for them.

crackersa

Honorary Master
Btw, does the DNS method work for Hulu and Netflix? Seems they're stricter than the rest, but some VPNs still work for them.
Links I posted works for Netflix and Hulu.

You need an American credit card for Hulu, though.

Gothan

Expert Member
Hulu is a lot easier with dns than Netflix, it's the credit card payment to Hulu that is the issue

jdepp

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Thanks Grandmaster, will give it a try with the trial first

Cool. Just remember that you also need to do a factory reset of your Roku and then link it to a fresh Roku account that has a US-based physical address linked to it.

You'll know you've got it working if Roku then offers to download all the tasty US-based channels during the setup (Hulu, Pandora etc).

crackersa

Honorary Master
no. The cable account is disconnected but still can access ABC, NBC etc.
Basic shows that maybe a couple weeks old. I know on both my roku and apple tv I had to register a cable account to get the latest shows and live tv.

jdepp

Basic shows that maybe a couple weeks old. I know on both my roku and apple tv I had to register a cable account to get the latest shows and live tv.

Oh shoot; that's why there were no new stuff...thanks. I will try and get someone else's login from there.