Setting up a local network over 500M (maybe slightly more)

access

Honorary Master

take note of first device, wireless mode: access point.

second device, wireless mode: station

if you search around in their help articles they have a guide for everything.

maybe the vid guy just did it back to front.

|tera|

Master of Messengers

take note of first device, wireless mode: access point.

second device, wireless mode: station

if you search around in their help articles they have a guide for everything.

maybe the vid guy just did it back to front.
Thank you access. You've been a great help (and everyone who posted).
Have a great weekend.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hopefully the operators don't pick up on it? I was thinking of doing something similar among family in close proximity. But not sure how legal it is. If you stay on a farm or middle of nowhere, it just makes sense though

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Hopefully the operators don't pick up on it? I was thinking of doing something similar among family in close proximity. But not sure how legal it is. If you stay on a farm or middle of nowhere, it just makes sense though
Hi RV.

Why would the operators be bothered?
AFAIK a Point to Point solution does not infringe or effect regular spectrum operators use.
It's basically an extended WiFi network.
If I'm wrong, please let me know.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hi RV.

Why would the operators be bothered?
AFAIK a Point to Point solution does not infringe or effect regular spectrum operators use.
It's basically an extended WiFi network.
If I'm wrong, please let me know.
I have no idea. I am just wondering. 500m is quite a distance and can be see as distributing? Specially if it is to another property (not sure about your situation) ?

Would be interesting to know if there are any issues with this.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I have no idea. I am just wondering. 500m is quite a distance and can be see as distributing? Specially if it is to another property (not sure about your situation) ?

I doubt there would be.
The ISP which assisted with pricing would have informed me if there was an issue.
They do everything from Point to Point to fiber. I'm just situated in a town that won't get residential fiber anytime soon, hence this solution.
We will also only use the network on the specific property, we won't allow access from any third parties.

thehuman

Expert Member
Hold a dig party , just bring your own spade.
But it is understandable it is easy to damage fibre , and not easy to repair.

eddief1

Expert Member
FIbre will be your best.

But also have a look at the UBNT and Mikrotik 60Ghz products for that distance, will be just as good as fibre

|tera|

Master of Messengers
FIbre will be your best.

But also have a look at the UBNT and Mikrotik 60Ghz products for that distance, will be just as good as fibre
Thanks, but I'm sorted if stock is available for the Ubiquiti equipment.
I've posted reasons in this thread why fibre isn't doable.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master

There was some legal requirement. Don't recall whether it was can't cross a street or can't cross a property boundary.

Def something like that though. I believe the WUG guys got a special dispensation to ignore it as long as they don't offer internet (and thus effectively become a WISP).

|tera|

Master of Messengers
There was some legal requirement. Don't recall whether it was can't cross a street or can't cross a property boundary.

Def something like that though. I believe the WUG guys got a special dispensation to ignore it as long as they don't offer internet (and thus effectively become a WISP).
Yeah, that won't be an issue here. It's not meant to be a WUG or WISP. Just a standard extension to make a LAN.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi everyone. Thank you for all the suggestions.
I requested pricing yesterday from a respected ISP in the province I live. They gave me 3 different solutions, including fibre.

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Geoff.

We won't be doing fibre. Even if labour and machinery is available. There's too many issues that could go wrong.
Power is sorted, thanks.

Edit: issues at hand: Actual farm land will have to be trenched through, 2 dams will need to be bypassed.
It's just a major mission. With this solution of using the Loco units, they can always be moved to a new structure or building.
This is only a temporary residence for me. Not a long term thing.
Less costs and less hassle is what I need.

Last edited:

RVFmal

Expert Member

Not an issue to the ISP's. Have set up a number installations with a main residence and cottages where the Main Residence provides connectivity to these cottages on a single fibre connection/account. Use the PtP solutions to connect these (own routers in each cottage to form own LAN).

Where they could/do get iffy is when connectivity is provided to different properties owned by different people and charging for this.

Monka

I requested pricing yesterday from a respected ISP in the province I live. They gave me 3 different solutions, including fibre.

It seems that we will be leaning towards the Loco units based on cost and ease of setup.
There are a few trees yes.
No structures or walls in place.
The point where I live where the connection would be linked to my router, is slightly elevated. So I look down on the secondary spot where the second Loco would be installed.

Let's say we skip fibre, due to the property being used as cultivation and farming as well. It would cost a lot to do the trenching and make sure the cable is protected from external damage, which can't be guaranteed. Due to tractors and heavy equipment being used.

Please give me some guidance. We've got two Huawei routers. The first at my spot neeeds to share Internet access to the secondary location.
So, do I still need a router at the secondary location? Will the Loco be able to act as an access point at the second location, or do I need to connect it to the second Huawei?

I would prefer not investing further in switches if Routers are available.
Is this doable?
Edit: Are AC networks backward compatible with B/G/N?
Running Aerial fibre would be another option aswell as long you have poles or structures in between to support the cable from sagging.

In a farm set up. Fibre would be your best n most reliable choice.

Its not always the case where you have to bury the cable if you going to have one cable linking two building in one property.

HartsockZA

It seems that we will be leaning towards the Loco units based on cost and ease of setup.
There are a few trees yes.
No structures or walls in place.
The point where I live where the connection would be linked to my router, is slightly elevated. So I look down on the secondary spot where the second Loco would be installed.

Let's say we skip fibre, due to the property being used as cultivation and farming as well. It would cost a lot to do the trenching and make sure the cable is protected from external damage, which can't be guaranteed. Due to tractors and heavy equipment being used.

Please give me some guidance. We've got two Huawei routers. The first at my spot neeeds to share Internet access to the secondary location.
So, do I still need a router at the secondary location? Will the Loco be able to act as an access point at the second location, or do I need to connect it to the second Huawei?

I would prefer not investing further in switches if Routers are available.
Is this doable?
Edit: Are AC networks backward compatible with B/G/N?
Yes well I know our Mirotiks are backward compatible haven't really checked for ubnt
there are rules boundary walls and roads if you cross them to establish your network example connect a client over a public road or boundary wall then you need a ECSN license and then to sell over said network a ECS license. As long as you don't contest local freq and not peeve off your local wuggers and wisp operators then you should be ok. happy to help if I can, welcome to pop a mailer

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Sorted with the Wireless equipment route. Thanks.
Not sure how the thread was brought up again.

We'll be doing this next year.