Setting up a static IP from Telkom

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I'm trying to assist someone with this, and I am at a bit of a loss. I don't know altogether too much about networking.

The situation is as follows:

ADSL connection / Asus N300 /*DSL-N14U.

If we go into the WAN settings, tell it not to configure the IP address automatically and input the static IP address from telkom, 255.255.255.0 and point to the default gateway (192.168.1.1), everything breaks:

Capture.PNG

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Telkom does not do static WAN IPs for adsl & fibre, they are dynamically allocated to your router. The only static IPs you can configure are those for your LAN.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Whats the static IP for? Which device? For a pc on his network or the DSL-N14U external internet facing IP?

And 255.255.255.0 thats not a subnet that will usually be used on any external internet facing IP.... nevermind the private gatway IP, sounds more you want a internal device on a static ip....

Last edited:

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Telkom does not do static WAN IPs for adsl & fibre, they are dynamically allocated to your router. The only static IPs you can configure are those for your LAN.

Telkom Business have provided something purporting to be a static IP. Perhaps I am entirely not understanding what to do with this (I'm working in a bit of a void of information already).

Whats the static IP for? Which device? For a pc on his network or the DSL-N14U external internet facing IP?

And 255.255.255.0 thats not a subnet that will usually be used on any external internet facing IP.... nevermind the private gatway IP, sounds more you want a internal device on a static ip....

As far as I understand the situation, they need their external IP address to be constant due to software they are using (something to do with the servers they are connecting to). Is it possibly that what they actually need is for each machine to have a static IP instead of this?

VanillaBox

Expert Member
Telkom Business have provided something purporting to be a static IP. Perhaps I am entirely not understanding what to do with this (I'm working in a bit of a void of information already).

As far as I understand the situation, they need their external IP address to be constant due to software they are using (something to do with the servers they are connecting to). Is it possibly that what they actually need is for each machine to have a static IP instead of this?

I think if they run the software on cloud based servers, they would like to make a rule on the firewall that they only would like to accept connections from a certain IP, If I were them, I would get myself a DynDNS name, add it on the router, and specify on the firewall that only connections from this "name" is accepted.

Or the other option is to get a proper router, that support VPN, and setup a Site to Site VPN.

Telkom doesn't give static IPs on DSL, so you need to use Afrihost Cybersmart or other provider to achieve that.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I think if they run the software on cloud based servers, they would like to make a rule on the firewall that they only would like to accept connections from a certain IP, If I were them, I would get myself a DynDNS name, add it on the router, and specify on the firewall that only connections from this "name" is accepted.

Or the other option is to get a proper router, that support VPN, and setup a Site to Site VPN.

Telkom doesn't give static IPs on DSL, so you need to use Afrihost Cybersmart or other provider to achieve that.

What did Telkom give the dude then?

(I'm terribly confused by all of this)

ponder

Honorary Master
What did Telkom give the dude then?

(I'm terribly confused by all of this)

Maybe you should ask him exactly what services he's signed up for and what info telkom provided him with. We're in the dark here.

Telkom also has a Dynamic DNS service you can activate from the portal, https://online.telkomsa.net/smt/MenuAction_DDNS_Activator so anything on the internet pointing to <username>.mydns.telkomsa.net will reach their router.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I will get further info - I'm clearly in way over my head.

Thanks so far. :)

beesboertjie

Hi Copacetic. Here’s my two cents. Every time I reboot my router, Telkom gives me a new IP address in Pretoria and/or in Rustenburg. Yet I stay in Graskop, 400 km east of Pretoria.

Last edited:

Fo xbat

Hey guys thanks for all the info, let me put it clearly. I am trying to host a server from home it is already set up and running I can connect to it directly as I am on the same network. But none of my friends can see the server, so I was advised that I need to contact Telkom and request that they change my public IP from generic to Static. Hope it sheds more info on my dilemma, and Ive phoned 10210 and the other number and I am getting reffered the while time no one seems to be able to help me or dir3ct me to the right person, even been to the Telkom store here in my town.

newklear

Expert Member
Hey guys thanks for all the info, let me put it clearly. I am trying to host a server from home it is already set up and running I can connect to it directly as I am on the same network. But none of my friends can see the server, so I was advised that I need to contact Telkom and request that they change my public IP from generic to Static. Hope it sheds more info on my dilemma, and Ive phoned 10210 and the other number and I am getting reffered the while time no one seems to be able to help me or dir3ct me to the right person, even been to the Telkom store here in my town.
Setup Port forwarding

Genisys

Honorary Master
You want to "put it clearly", so let me return the favor. Realistically there is better ways to deal with hosting a game server, but considering you still have not looked at alternatives I would assume you just want to host a game server accessible from the internet. Axxess has Static IP addresses for their DSL accounts, so that might be worth looking at. Personally I wouldn't host game servers at home, its too much of a hassle. If you don't have decent hardware and don't set it up perfectly it becomes a crap experience for everyone. If your internet drops you get complaints. Accusations of cheats soon start flying towards anyone with access to the console. Free time gets spent on trying to make the "server" perform better, just to end up making the player experience worse. Just wait for hardware failure or power outages, your friends will love your server you are hosting while there is an extended power outage and they want to play. Did I mention cheating yet? You will either be accused of cheating, or other players will be cheating and you'll have to deal with it.