Setting up netowrking with 2 routers

PearlJam

Expert Member
Setting up networking with 2 routers

My current setup are as follows:

Internet comes through my Billion 7300G router, this feeds internet to my DLink DIR-655 that is the "hub" of my home network.

As part of the network I have a WDHD TV Live media player. I can't get it to pass on the DNS. The IP is fine, but that is where it ends. Therefor I have networking capabilities, but no internet access through the WD.

I don't know anything about DNS, any suggestions of what might be wrong in my setup (or settings for that matter)?

Last edited:

syntax

Executive Member
I have no idea on the WDHD tv media player, how can you confirm ip address? and does it have any options for dns settings or does it just get ip address?
is it getting an ip address through dhcp or are u manually entering it?

Aardvark

Hi Pearljam
I have a similar setup. Is the username & password inside your router or are you using windows to make the connection (ie clicking on a icon the get internet access).
You have to have the password in the Billion router for it to have internet access.
Cheers
Johnathan

PearlJam

Expert Member
I have access on my pc to the internet. I ran the auto setup on the media player and it has a function to check IP, DNS & internet. It passes the IP, but not the rest. I can access all my content on the network. Iwould however like to have internet access for the internet radio

syntax

Executive Member
I have access on my pc to the internet. I ran the auto setup on the media player and it has a function to check IP, DNS & internet. It passes the IP, but not the rest. I can access all my content on the network. Iwould however like to have internet access for the internet radio

OK......is there an option to enter settings manually rather than auto setup?
The above suggestion is also valid, is your computer dialing out the pppoe connection or is the router dialing out the connection?

PearlJam

Expert Member
OK......is there an option to enter settings manually rather than auto setup?
The above suggestion is also valid, is your computer dialing out the pppoe connection or is the router dialing out the connection?

Yes, I can do it manually, but I am not sure what to enter. The username and password is in the Billion router which allows my laptop to connect through wifi

syntax

Executive Member
Yes, I can do it manually, but I am not sure what to enter. The username and password is in the Billion router which allows my laptop to connect through wifi

on ur laptop, go to command prompt and do an ipconfig,
ur ip address you enter should be the same first 3 octets (IE if ur ipconfig says 192.168.1.1 then you would enter 192.168.1.xx) where u replace xx with a number like 20.
match the subnet mask exactly
match default gateway exactly, put ur dns the same as ur default gateway.
If u still struggle with dns try 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (google dns)