Sex threads in HWLR

daveza

Honorary Master
I'm lost here.

Are we actually contemplating whether sex is something to be discussed on the forum ?

This has to be the the cleanest forum on the planet apart from the ligious chatty-boxes. It is very competently moderated and those who step out of line are dealt with swiftly.

I find many topics here offensive so I choose not to read them or participate.

It's an adult restricted forum where adults should be able to freely discuss adult issues.

No-one is forced to read anything they don't find acceptable and likewise nobody should impose their moral limitations on the rest.

( To be fair, CathJ did ask very politely so don't take my comments personally - I just believe a little censorship sets a precedent ).

Last edited:

-toady-

Expert Member
Thanks Pitbull, I'm starting to feel a little bit... hated :p It is difficult, because I want to read the financial stuff (for example) but not have the explicit stuff on my monitor.

Personally, I think a sub-sub-forum could work, although it could also encourage those types of threads which the mods may or may not want. My point is that I'm quite able to change my browsing habits (given that the consensus is that I'm pretty much the only one unhappy) and that despite what people seem to think I'm not trying to police the forum or force it into my image.
I admire you for coming out and speaking your mind. It would be a shame were you to choose to leave. Rather embrace the silly trolls that flame you and stay. :D

CathJ

Expert Member
I'm lost here.

Are we actually contemplating whether sex is something to be discussed on the forum ?

This has to be the the cleanest forum on the planet apart from the ligious chatty-boxes. It is very competently moderated and those who step out of line are dealt with swiftly.

I find many topics here offensive so I choose not to read them or participate.

It's an adult restricted forum where adults should be able to freely discuss adult issues.

No-one is forced to read anything they don't find acceptable and likewise nobody should impose their moral limitations on the rest.

( To be fair, CathJ did ask very politely so don't take my comments personally - I just believe a little censorship sets a precedent ).
Thanks for recognising that I was trying to be polite and raise a discussion around it, not just impose my morality on everyone else :)

It's not the fact that sex was mentioned, that I find inappropriate - it's the level of detail in which it's being discussed. And despite what killa thinks, I'm not a prude - I just believe that it's a private thing, and isn't appropriate for a forum like this (at the very least, not mixed in with posts with financial info and the variety of topics that are in the HWLR subforum).

Incidentally, it is against the Terms and Conditions, so it's not just my opinion - it's obviously something rpm thought about at one stage. That being said, things do evolve, and clearly the majority don't have a problem with it; I've said I'll accept that and modify my browsing habits accordingly. It might be a good idea to update the Terms and Conditions though, since currently they state:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. No attacks directed at any member or the forum / website will be tolerated.
I'll agree that Pitbull made sure his thread, at least, wasn't vulgar, although by its very nature it was sexually-oriented.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Damnit, will someone make another subforum for the Relationship and sex stuff? I am tired of looking at sex topics, knowing our PCs are screenshot captured here at work, when i want to read investment threads between calls...

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Well that's settled, it's against the T&C, so why is it still there?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Incidentally, it is against the Terms and Conditions, so it's not just my opinion - it's obviously something rpm thought about at one stage. That being said, things do evolve, and clearly the majority don't have a problem with it; I've said I'll accept that and modify my browsing habits accordingly. It might be a good idea to update the Terms and Conditions though, since currently they state:
That is very true . . . and something that clearly slipped my mind.

Pitbull

Verboten
At least I got some people who had possitive results and actually took the thime to PM me. So I'm happy. I did a few woman/men a great favour :)

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
Oprah had a vibrator on her show this week. She did a whole show on sexual health. Did you watch that episode?

Its interesting where we can talk about murder and killing, and we can even play computer games that simulate killing.. but anything sexual... and its taboo. Messed up morality that.
What he said.

I don't like the endless retarded threads about people hooking up and breaking up with with their spouses because I also don't see that as adding value to the forum, but you don't see me whining about getting rid of them.

Just stay out if you think it will offend you but there is no need to enforce your will on others. The most I can agree to is that the subject lines should not be too explicit. That should sort out the problem of offending people at your work place.

Dolby

Honorary Master
What's with all the sex-related threads in HWLR lately?

I think the level of detail that's being gone into is inappropriate for this forum, especially for those of us who access it from work.

I've reported at least one thread, but nothing seems to have happened... don't know if the mods are busy or if they disagree with me.
Which threads are you not happy with?

CathJ

Expert Member
Which threads are you not happy with?
I don't think there's much point pointing out the particular threads - I've taken enough abuse on this already (despite the fact that I'm clearly not the only one who thinks it's inappropriate). There was a whole spate of them yesterday, and I happen to think that it's worth, every now and then, deciding on whether trends are developing, and if so, whether they are acceptable trends or not. The majority has said that they are acceptable, I've accepted that and said that I'll modify my browsing habits and staying of the subforum (and suggested that another subforum be created for sexually explicit stuff, so that the rest of us can read the financial stuff, for example, without sexually explicit thread titles displaying on the monitor); I think it should now just be left at that.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Oprah had a vibrator on her show this week. She did a whole show on sexual health. Did you watch that episode?

Its interesting where we can talk about murder and killing, and we can even play computer games that simulate killing.. but anything sexual... and its taboo. Messed up morality that.
+1 :mad: