Share your Lock Down tips !

wizardofid

Executive Member
I have a couple of tips especially with regards to cooking

If you have fresh produce use them first, also first in last out should also apply, use eggs, veggies ect first. Some veggies freeze well, so for example you like making mash green beans with onions and potato. Blanche the veggies together for about 5 minutes in boiling water drain it and divide into meal ready portions and freeze when completely cooled down.

When peeling potatoes keep the skins, you can deep fry the skins in oil for a quick snack.

Run out of potatoes you can also deep fry sweet potato as alternative to chips.

If you also want to make a quick filling snack you can take potatoes and peel the entire potato with a peeler into thin slices and deep fry in hot oil to make some crispy chips.

Freeze bread and take it out as you need it.

Keep eggs in the fridge, will give you at least two additional weeks of shelf live
To test freshness of eggs place them in a bowl full of water, if the sink to the bottom with air bubble side pointing upwards they are still fresh, if the lay on their side on the bottom they are not so fresh but still good to eat. Any egg mid way or floating on the top is no longer safe to consume.

If you can cook meals in advance especially with fresh produce cook and freeze.

Tomatoes, can be fried and cooked with onion with a little sugar and flavoring, and then frozen and used as needed.

Instead of fresh fruit even if they are freely available get dried fruit with no added sugar, it is a healthy snack, and has longer shelf live.

Plan ahead what you will be cooking and snacking on and stick to it, it will limit the need to go to the stores, if you use recipes, stick to them and use as little ingredient recipes as possible, if it makes larger portions, freeze whatever you don't need.

Any vegetable skins you don't use, chicken skins/fat, fat and bones from beef, pig ect can be cooked together with some maize meal, and served to mans best friend if he isn't a picky eater, this will help to ration dog food.

If you have empty containers, filled them up with some drinking water and keep them in the fridge, just in case there is a water break it might take a few hours extra to fix.

If you have empty 2l cold drink bottles fill them up with water and place them in the freezer with your other food, in the event of a power failure it will keep your food frozen for longer, you can also place some bottles in the fridge to keep the food nice in cool in there.

Remember while you will be able to source food still you should ration and plan for the worse. Try and workout a meal plan with what you have and see if you can't stretch an extra few days just in case not only will you save money, you won't have to go outside and risk getting infected.

Last edited:

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
I have a couple of tips especially with regards to cooking

If you have fresh produce use them first, also first in last out should also apply, use eggs, veggies ect first. Some veggies freeze well, so for example you like making mash green beans with onions and potato. Blanche the veggies together for about 5 minutes in boiling water drain it and divide into meal ready portions and freeze when completely cooled down.

When peeling potatoes keep the skins, you can deep fry the skins in oil for a quick snack.

Run out of potatoes you can also deep fry sweet potato as alternative to chips.

If you also want to make a quick filling snack you can take potatoes and peel the entire potato with a peeler into thin slices and deep fry in hot oil to make some crispy chips.

Freeze bread and take it out as you need it.

Keep eggs in the fridge, will give you at least two additional weeks of shelf live
To test freshness of eggs place them in a bowl full of water, if the sink to the bottom with air bubble side pointing upwards they are still fresh, if the lay on their side on the bottom they are not so fresh but still good to eat. Any egg mid way or floating on the top is no longer safe to consume.

If you can cook meals in advance especial with fresh produce and freeze.

Tomatoes, can be fried and cooked with onion with a little sugar and flavoring, and then frozen and used as needed.

Instead of fresh fruit if they aren't freely available get dried fruit with no added sugar, it is a healthy snack.

Plan ahead what you will be cooking and snacking on and stick to it, it will limit the need to go to the stores, if you use recipes, stick to them and use as little ingredient recipes as possible, if it makes larger portions, freeze whatever you don't need.

Any vegtable skins you don't use, chicken skins/fat, fat and bones from beef, pig ect can be cooked together with some maize meal, and served to mans best friend if he isn't a picky eater, this will help to ration dog food.

If you have empty containers, filled them up with some drinking water and keep them in the fridge, just in case there is a water break it might take a few hours extra to fix.

If you have empty 2l cold drink bottles fill them up with water and place them in the freezer with your other food, in the event of a power failure it will keep your food frozen for longer, you can also place some bottles in the fridge to keep the food nice in cool in their.

Remember while you will be able to source food still you should ration and plan for the worse. Try and workout a meal plan with what you have and see if you can't stretch an extra few days just in case not only will you save money, you won't have to go outside and risk getting infected.
Just give us your secret recipes already :sneaky:

No need for "tips"

wizardofid

Executive Member
Just give us your secret recipes already :sneaky:

No need for "tips"
lol what do you have, no point I give you recipes and to don't have the items on hand.
I can teach you how to make sweet and sour sauce at home.
Your own bowties.
lasagne
ravioli
breyani
roti's ( the secret here is to use boiling water direct from the kettle, you want to half cook the flour mix, you want to set the gluten right away as it makes for a softer, crispier and fluffy roti and you can roll them out extremely thin)
naan bread
pizza dough
corn dogs
batter fish and chips
tuna roll
chicken roll
home made pies and dough.
Sausage Rolls
curried fish
5 ingredient soup
2 ingredient soup
spanish omelet
Some basic curries
Home made yogurt using a slow cooker.

I think I will share an easy one, lentil and bake bean pasta.

What you need
Half a cup of cooked lentils
A can baked beans
2 teaspoon tomato paste
Large shell noodles or macaroni a full packet.
A can of tomatoes and onions, ( If you only have canned tomatoes you will need to fry an onion with the mince)
Garlic, basil, origanum.
1kg beef mince
A half a cup of cheese to mix in the pasta
A cup of grated cheese to put on top
A oven safe baking dish
Salt and pepper

Cook pasta till soft, drain and set aside, drizzle with a little olive oil to stop the pasta from sticking together.
Fry mince till golden brown on high heat, in a large pot (large enough for all the ingredients), remove from heat, and mix all the other ingredients together mixing each one well with the exception the pasta which you add dead last, and the one cup cheese.

Taste test, you can maybe add a bit more salt or a little chutney if you want, I generally always add a little chutney extra, but the recipe doesn't need it.

Place in oven safe baking dish, spread grated cheese, bake till cheese is melted, and starts to brown, take out of oven, let in cool for 15 minutes and set. cut in portion serve and freeze the rest as needed. Generally speaking don't over fill the baking dish, there will always be a little pasta mix left, so you could always eat that, and freeze the rest.
Should be eat enough for at least 10 squares which you can serve with a salad or roasted veggies, it is also awesome with bread.

Pegasus

Expert Member
What's the plan if gauvamint decide to switch off the internet?

RedViking

Nord of the South
lol what do you have, no point I give you recipes and to don't have the items on hand.
I can teach you how to make sweet and sour sauce at home.
Your own bowties.
lasagne
ravioli
breyani
roti's
naan bread
pizza dough
corn dogs
batter fish and chips
tuna roll
chicken roll
home made pies and dough.
Sausage Rolls
curried fish
5 ingredient soup
2 ingredient soup
spanish omelet

I think I will share an easy one, lentil and bake bean pasta.

What you need
Half a cup of cooked lentils
A can baked beans
2 teaspoon tomato paste
Large shell noodles or macaroni a full packet.
A can of tomatoes and onions, ( If you only have canned tomatoes you will need to fry an onion with the mince)
Garlic, basil, origanum.
1kg beef mince
A half a cup of cheese to mix in the pasta
A cup of grated cheese to put on top
A oven safe baking dish
Salt and pepper

Cook pasta till soft, drain and set aside, drizzle with a little olive oil to stop the pasta from sticking together.
Fry mince till golden brown on high heat, in a large pot (large enough for all the ingredients), remove from heat, and mix all the other ingredients together mixing each one well with the exception the pasta which you add dead last, and the one cup cheese.

Taste test, you can maybe add a bit more salt or a little chutney if you want, I generally always add a little chutney extra, but the recipe doesn't need it.

Place in oven safe baking dish, spread grated cheese, bake till cheese is melted, and starts to brown, take out of oven, let in cool for 15 minutes and set. cut in portion serve and freeze the rest as needed. Generally speaking don't over fill the baking dish, there will always be a little pasta mix left, so you could always eat that, and freeze the rest.
Should be eat enough for at least 10 squares which you can serve with a salad or roasted veggies, it is also awesome with bread.
And I'm reading this munching on 2 min. noodles and bullybeef.... :crying:

Reactions: rh1

wizardofid

Executive Member
And I'm reading this munching on 2 min. noodles and bullybeef.... :crying:
Lol tell me what you have and we can make a plan. I have an awesome baked chicken/tuna mayo roll you will love and right up your skills alley......

Matt91

Yeah seems pretty easy, just gotta do the prep work well beforehand, I'm going to mix the stuff up just now and leave it overnight.