Share your networks, Vodacom and MTN: Maseko

MrR

Expert Member
Share your infrastructure first...

How long has LLU been a point of interest for the ICT sector?

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
That's a bit rich coming from a PARASTATAL that has been closed for years with out any competition.
Open up your's and maybe the rest will follow.
This is also a way to not spend money on important infrastructure by piggybacking on someone else.

MickeyD

RIP
Old news...

This was brought up during the LLU hearings in October 2011.

MickeyD

RIP
MTN, Vodacom should state their intention to open up their networks... and then do nothing. That seems to be Telkom's MO.
Am not going to defend Telkom as I am a huge proponent of LLU, but you also need to look at ICASA's lack of action in this case.

W.r.t. the 200 exchanges that they are going to pilot, I'd love to see the list!!

Also... why include MTN in the heading when the main target is Vodacom?

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Am not going to defend Telkom as I am a huge proponent of LLU, but you also need to look at ICASA's lack of action in this case.

You're not going to get me arguing that ICASA is useless :)

Even when ICASA tells Telkom to do something, they just ignore it, and ICASA carries on being useless. MTN/Vodacom could and probably would do the same.

W.r.t. the 200 exchanges that they are going to pilot, I'd love to see the list!!
Yeah.. I'm betting it'll be mainly the low-income areas, where Telkom isn't able to make ADSL economics work. They'll cite some rubbish like "already at capacity" in the places where all the money is.

MickeyD

RIP
Yeah.. I'm betting it'll be mainly the low-income areas, where Telkom isn't able to make ADSL economics work. They'll cite some rubbish like "already at capacity" in the places where all the money is.
At the LLU hearings Telkom indicated that they had a list of exchanges. If it is that list then it is the really low income exchanges in their books and many of them are in far away places.

krycor

Honorary Master
Wireless unbundling would be awesome and reduce cost for operators but then coverage would no longer be the competitive edge.. Sometimes I think with LTE and newer tech, it should have been forced for providers to share access & spectrum but I guess icasa makes more this way