Sheffield students paid to tackle racist language on campus

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
A university is to hire 20 of its own students to challenge language on campus that could be seen as racist.

The University of Sheffield is to pay students to tackle so-called "microaggressions" - which it describes as "subtle but offensive comments".

They will be trained to "lead healthy conversations" about preventing racism on campus and in student accommodation.

Vice-chancellor Koen Lamberts said the initiative wanted to "change the way people think about racism".

The students will be paid £9.34 per hour as "race equality champions", working between two and nine hours per week to tackle "microaggressions" in the university.

These are described as comments or actions which might be unintentional, but which can cause offence to a minority group.

It gives examples of what it means by microaggression - such as:

• "Stop making everything a race issue"
  • "Why are you searching for things to be offended about?"
  • "Where are you really from?"
  • "I don't want to hear about your holiday to South Africa. It's nowhere near where I'm from"
  • "Being compared to black celebrities that I look nothing like"

VooDooC

You have a right to be offended, and I have a right not to give a f***

So now I'm not even allowed to ask people where they're from? Holy hell, one of these days they're going to tell you you're not allowed to look at someone as they might find it offensive.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
I'd love to see some mybb SJW members list up what they consider to be microaggressions.

Just let me know so I can get extra butter and salt for my popcorn.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I'd love to see some mybb SJW members list up what they consider to be microaggressions.

Just let me know so I can get extra butter and salt for my popcorn.
That one Super Moderator dude will be by shortly to give you a list

Sollie

Executive Member
Ag my fok Marelize ...

Does that count?

/note to self: Afrikaans lessons on campus?

buka001

Executive Member
I suspect that the Law of unintended Consequences will come into play and this will end badly.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I suspect that the Law of unintended Consequences will come into play and this will end badly.
No need to suspect... It's a given that it will end badly. One of these thought police crew is going to do something stupid and the university is going to take the stick for it. It all depends on how long. I give it no more than 2 weeks.

Mila

Honorary Master
Would "Fsck off, you're being a useless twat" constitute a microaggression?
Not making eye contact, not smiling
Looking at an obese person and frowning.
Looking at a black person and laughing ( not at them just laughter)

Being a white human is a micro aggression.
Male is a micro aggression
Straight is a micro aggression
Soon just being gay will also be a micro aggression cause it is to normal.

Guess what, nobody cares. Let their feels be hurt maybe they off themselves before they breed

Flanders

Honorary Master
Have you ever encountered anything so monumentally stupid?
Appointing a group of people to look out for, and report back on..."micro aggressions".

- Anything to report on today, Jones?

- Unfortunately nothing overt today, sir. But I think you'll find this stack of micro aggressions quite interesting.

- Good lad, Jones. Keep up the good work.

- Uh, sir? Did you just assume my gender?

Brenden_E

Expert Member
You have a right to be offended, and I have a right not to give a f***

So now I'm not even allowed to ask people where they're from? Holy hell, one of these days they're going to tell you you're not allowed to look at someone as they might find it offensive.
Rofl there was already a thread about this. It's already a thing!