Shona Ferguson has died, foundation confirms

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Don't weasel out. He asked you do define famous. We said he's famous, known by millions in this country and probably across some African countries cause DStv has coverage there. No one called him world famous but you dug yourself a little hole and instead of stopping you dig deeper.

Hey, famous suddenly has boundaries now that you're trying to weasel out? And you were the one that stated:

This forum is weird. Every time a local celebrity dies

R13...

Honorary Master
Hey, famous suddenly has boundaries now that you're trying to weasel out? And you were the one that stated:
Don't parrot me. Explain how he's not famous. And yes fame tends to be very localised. Most fame will be local.

koeks525

Expert Member
Really, really sad news. I was hoping the initial reports were fake news. I have always enjoyed watching him, and his wife, Conne Fergurson, on TV. He will be missed :(. Hope the family garners enough strength to work through such an enormous loss.

COVID related deaths trigger me, since I lost a parent to this virus.

lunch

This forum is weird. Every time a local celebrity dies at get these obtuse sorts questioning the person's celebrity. Only some of the celebrities though. As if ignorance is a virtue. If you don't know the person just move on.
I'm guilty of this too, it's kind of a meme

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Don't parrot me. Explain how he's not famous. And yes fame tends to be very localised. Most fame will be local.

So Clint Eastwood and Arnie Schwarzenegger are local famous celebs then? Famous means known in every country. Not only on DSTV and in Soweto.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
So Clint Eastwood and Arnie Schwarzenegger are local famous celebs then? Famous means known in every country. Not only on DSTV and in Soweto.
Not according to the definition of the word. You can be well known in a single country and its neighbours, like this gentleman or known worldwide, like Michael Jackson.

Oliver Pocher has fame in Germany and neighbouring countries for example, but hardly anyone know him here.

karnuffel

Expert Member
I find it facinating that the word famous is being debated here. Maybe he was famous to some, but not to others. WTF does it really matter?

Let those that want to write something about him do so.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Those diseases don't clog up hospital beds and high care wards the same way COVID does.

It's the first outbreak in the past few decades to suffocate even first world health systems.
Actually it's not, but anyway sent plenty of links over the course of the last 18 months showing that it does not take a lot to clog up the systems.
But anyway keep living in fear chicken little, keep thinking that the COVID is the be all and end all.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Actually famous means known by many people, these 2 actors were known by many people hence famous. There are musicians in the US only known in the US that would be classified as famous because a few million people know them, they make enough money to constitute a level of fame.
Stop being obtuse

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Actually it's not, but anyway sent plenty of links over the course of the last 18 months showing that it does not take a lot to clog up the systems.
But anyway keep living in fear chicken little, keep thinking that the COVID is the be all and end all.
I took anecdotes of family members and relatives working in the medical field in 3 different provinces and metros. I've also been to the hospital closest to me in the past year. I hope I'm wrong.