Shop owner figths off panga-wielding robber

SeRpEnT

Expert Member

"
A man shopping for cool drink has been hailed a hero after coming to the aid of a shop owner who was held up by a panga-wielding assailant in Cape Town.
Dramatic CCTV footage showed Werner Pierre Raal calmly pick up a metal rack and deliver a series of blows to the robber, who was eventually overpowered and fled from the store.
Raal, speaking to TimesLIVE on Wednesday, said he went to the shop to buy Coca-Cola.
“It’s the shop where I normally buy my Coke. The people always treat you with the utmost respect when you walk into that shop,” he said.
In a video shared on social media, the shop owner sits on a chair behind the counter. A man with a beanie takes out what appears to be a panga from his bag and takes a swing at the proprietor.
“Give me money,” the panga-wielding man says, as the owner ducks for cover behind the counter, pleading for his life.....

joker08

The robber had guts to try and rob a shop with such a skinny built

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The robber attacks immediately, and then people say you need to comply when a weapon is drawn.

newklear

The robber attacks immediately, and then people say you need to comply when a weapon is drawn.
Yes that gets me too. Think in this situation and most the robber was scared and went for the attack from the get go. If someone is robbing me I won't comply, would rather turn the tables when the time is right. Would be better to see people trained in handling their flight or fight response as opposed to be learned in compliance.

Good job to the oke in sticking up for the shopkeeper!

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Was the panga not sharp? Around the 40 second mark it looks like they were holding onto the blade part.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes that gets me too. Think in this situation and most the robber was scared and went for the attack from the get go. If someone is robbing me I won't comply, would rather turn the tables when the time is right. Would be better to see people trained in handling their flight or fight response as opposed to be learned in compliance.

I believe I already told my story somewhere here on MyBroadband. Long story short, one needs to take your situation, circumstances and environment into consideration when acting back. Other innocents may also get hurt by your actions. At the moment you don’t have the opportunity to think everything through, even trained people may come short here.

Circumstantially, I don’t think in these situations, when you pull a weapon, I will react to it aggressively. Just the way I am. Personally I wouldn't want to place others in danger, especially when it comes down to my own decision (or mistake).

These are many aggressive robbers out there. They wound their victims in one way or the other to take control.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The thread heading and the article heading is so different, luckily this is not in the news section.

SeRpEnT, "Shop customer fights off panga-wielding robber"

SeRpEnT

Expert Member

Yeah first play along and then when they least expect it release all hell. At all times Scout your nearby environment and look for potential weapons. You will be surprised what some ordinary every days items or furniture can do against someone wielding a knife...

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
The thread heading and the article heading is so different, luckily this is not in the news section.

SeRpEnT, "Shop customer fights off panga-wielding robber"
Yah only noticed that error afterwards.
Mods feel free to change accordingly.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Just thinking of how heavy those 1Ltr glass Coke bottles were (are), If he'd been hit with one of those he'd be dead