Shopping from Amazon USA.

infrared

Good day,

I would like to purchase a laptop from Amazon USA. However, this is my first time purchasing something from Amazon and I am a little nervous. My main concerns are, besides the actual cost ( including shipping,tax and duties) are there any other costs that I need to be aware of. Will the laptop be delivered straight to my doorstep or will I have to get it released from the customs. And I'm paying using a Standard Bank card in dollars because the AMAZON currency converter isn't great. What exchange rate will Standard Bank offer me and are there any transaction costs that bank will charge me. Should I buy the protection plan, in case the item is damaged while being shipped to South Africa?

P.S https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075...aspire+e15&dpPl=1&dpID=41HfDkXXyeL&ref=plSrch. The laptop i would like to buy. Its sold and shipped by Amazon.

IOPS

Amazon ships this item to SA, so everything is covered.
You'll pay for shipping, customs, tax etc etc on checkout. The item is then shipped via courier to your door. You won't pay anything else.

I've had items shipped from Amazon for years without any issues. Returns are a bit of a pain though.

bratwurst

Expert Member
I use amex to pay in dollar. It's almost 1:1. FNB's exchange rate is a joke. Unsure about standard bank.

Also keep in mind, amazon only charges your card once they start packing your order. This could be a few hours later or even a day or 2 later, so the Rand dollar exchange can change. The Rand price can be locked in.

beans100

Honorary Master
Looks like a nice laptop, I'm also looking for bargain. How is customs on electronics? I know on clothes they are like 120%, are they as crazy on laptops etc?
/Subscribed

SA-UK

Banned
Be aware for whats its worth I bought a mobile phone a few months ago off Amazon US (1st purchase in years as I have been a v happy Ebay buyer/seller since moving to UK in 2002 ) after returning to SA 6 months ago.

I had heard stories that many sellers on Amazon won't send to SA (same with Ebay these days...do I need to even go into why? ) ,but found one with good reviews who apparently shipped to SA so went ahead with the purchase.

Cut a long story short, what seemed like a good deal at the time(don't they often ) ended up me wasting quite a bit of time/energy as once it arrived at JFK (2 days after ordering) it never moved from there. Ever.

Amazon tracking kept telling me it was due to arrive on schedule..a week later same thing.
When their track system was still telling me it would be here in CT with 3 days to go to delivery due date ( still needed to traverse Atlantic Ocean and entire African continent, offload at Jhb, clear customs, flow to CT, posted out to me :D:wtf: ) I pulled the breaks.

Countless phonecalls to the Aramex courier (Amazon seller's courier I assume), emails to Amazon support and told to be continually patient everything was on track by Amazon and yet another by a helpful employee at the courier who told me no mob phones are now sent via air to SA because of internal battery / prohibited item/ terrorism / etc etc I knew the ghost was with my promised happy Amazon shopping experience. :crylaugh:

It did never leave JFK.
I got my refund in the end, that was fairly smooth at least.
Luckily $ / £ exchange rate hadn't moved to much and I purchased it on my British credit card.

Lesson learnt.
End of.

Last edited:

bratwurst

Expert Member
Never had such issues ^^

The battery policy is most probably aramex, and not amazon.

I've imported a few phones and laptops and it always went smooth. In general, I shop more on Amazon than all local online shops combined.

SA-UK

Banned
Never had such issues ^^

The battery policy is most probably aramex, and not amazon.
But seller should be on the ball laptops and phones are probably 90% of most online sellers revenue these days...and it's not my business to check every legal angle, thats why I use a seller right!??

In general, I shop more on Amazon than all local online shops combined.
That's a no brainer. Most of us do these days. It's called death of the High Street store.

airborne

Honorary Master
It's not the battery that caused the hassle, it's probably just aramex that screwed up, you are allowed to ship batteries via Air if its part of a device like a cell phone or laptop.

SA-UK

Banned
It's not the battery that caused the hassle, it's probably just aramex that screwed up, you are allowed to ship batteries via Air if its part of a device like a cell phone or laptop.
Not if its internal, and besides i spoke to the CT branch manager personally a few times who was adamant that rules had changed.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Not if its internal, and besides i spoke to the CT branch manager personally a few times who was adamant that rules had changed.
Are you sure? I just received a surfacebook on Thursday and shipping was done through aramex. The surfacebook has internal batteries.

Usually I chose expedited shipping on electronics and Amazon uses DHL or UPS for that. Standard shipping they use aramex.

Jola

Honorary Master
I recently ordered a drone through amazon.

I first ordered the Flymore kit, it didn't go through, presumably because of the extra battery.

But the basic kit with the single battery went through.

infrared

Looks like a nice laptop, I'm also looking for bargain. How is customs on electronics? I know on clothes they are like 120%, are they as crazy on laptops etc?
/Subscribed
It shows an amount of 93 dollars for import fees in the order summary.

infrared

Be aware for whats its worth I bought a mobile phone a few months ago off Amazon US (1st purchase in years as I have been a v happy Ebay buyer/seller since moving to UK in 2002 ) after returning to SA 6 months ago.

I had heard stories that many sellers on Amazon won't send to SA (same with Ebay these days...do I need to even go into why? ) ,but found one with good reviews who apparently shipped to SA so went ahead with the purchase.

Cut a long story short, what seemed like a good deal at the time(don't they often ) ended up me wasting quite a bit of time/energy as once it arrived at JFK (2 days after ordering) it never moved from there. Ever.

Amazon tracking kept telling me it was due to arrive on schedule..a week later same thing.
When their track system was still telling me it would be here in CT with 3 days to go to delivery due date ( still needed to traverse Atlantic Ocean and entire African continent, offload at Jhb, clear customs, flow to CT, posted out to me :D:wtf: ) I pulled the breaks.

Countless phonecalls to the Aramex courier (Amazon seller's courier I assume), emails to Amazon support and told to be continually patient everything was on track by Amazon and yet another by a helpful employee at the courier who told me no mob phones are now sent via air to SA because of internal battery / prohibited item/ terrorism / etc etc I knew the ghost was with my promised happy Amazon shopping experience. :crylaugh:

It did never leave JFK.
I got my refund in the end, that was fairly smooth at least.
Luckily $ / £ exchange rate hadn't moved to much and I purchased it on my British credit card.

Lesson learnt.
End of.
This laptop is shipped and sold by Amazon, so I guess it should be fine.

infrared

Which parcel carrier does Amazon tend to use for AmazonGlobal standard shipping to South Africa?

Jola

Honorary Master
Is Aramex reliable, because I have heard a lot of negative things about them?
There seems to be a problem between Aramex and Customs which can delay things.

From my experience it seems that Aramex records rubbish descriptions in the USA, which then makes Customs here in SA want to inspect the parcels.

SA-UK

Banned
There seems to be a problem between Aramex and Customs which can delay things.

From my experience it seems that Aramex records rubbish descriptions in the USA, which then makes Customs here in SA want to inspect the parcels.

yes "seems" - thats the whole problem, no offense intended.

But I will ensure if I purchase from Amazon again that I email the seller or Amazon and confirm 100% that the item CAN be shipped with their carrier and get them to confirm that in writing. If they won't or can't - I'll find another seller.