Shopping malls must evolve to meet Internet challenge

Milano

Honorary Master
My most recent shopping expeirence:

Buying a blender at a Shopping Centre:

* Very limited selection of two blenders on shelf.
* Unit in stock is invariably in a box which has been slashed, crunched, taped back again (likely a return).
* Often missing parts upon opening at home.
* Almost R20 for the privilege of parking.
* Staff have zero knowledge.
* Staff stand in groups chatting about the weekend.
* Contagious shoppers with filthy handkerchiefs and TB-like coughs.
* Dodging beggars inside the centre that require formula for their babies.

Buying at Kalahari or similar

* A selection of 30+ blenders to choose from.
* Free delivery to my door.
* Item and packaging looks brand new.
* Secure, crime free.
* Identical product is cheaper than shopping centre

It's a no-brainer :D

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My most recent shopping expeirence:

Buying a blender at a Shopping Centre:

* Very limited selection of two blenders on shelf.
* Unit in stock is invariably in a box which has been slashed, crunched, taped back again (likely a return).
* Often missing parts upon opening at home.
* Almost R20 for the privilege of parking.
* Contagious shoppers with filthy handkerchiefs and TB-like coughs.
* Dodging beggars inside the centre that require formula for their babies.

Buying at Kalahari or similar

* A selection of 30+ blenders to choose from.
* Free delivery to my door.
* Item and packaging looks brand new.
* Secure, crime free.
* Identical product is cheaper than shopping centre

It's a no-brainer :D

That sounds about right.

It's also fun to get packages delivered to your door or your office or whatever.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
There are many things I would never buy online unless I have inspected the item in person first. Pictures and descriptions online can be very deceiving. And then I also prefer the "now" thing about buying it at a shop. Patience is a virtue I do not have. And at times I enjoy hunting for something at shops all over Cape Town.

Buying a camera or camera accessory at Orms in town is a great experience that an online shop will never ever be able to replicate. They even serve fantastic coffee while you wait and the staff know their stuff.

Online price hunting works great, but then I still prefer to handle the item before a final decision is made.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Try to buy shoes and clothes online....

Even with the same manufacturers and shoe sizes, you still don't get as good a fit, as at a real store.

markings

Expert Member
I went to PlumCrazy and looked at the hot water geysers.
I ask the guy "are they compatible with heat pumps?"

The look on his face told me that he never ever heard of a heat pump.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I had some stuff to get this weekend. Went to Builders on Sat, waded through the crowded isles, fended off multiple peeps trying to sell me their brand of product, and eventually made my way to checkout. Took one look at the queue, pushed my trolly aside and walked out.
Went to Makro to try there. Just looked at the number of peeps shopping there and skipped that altogether.

After shopping so much online I just don't have the patience for shops and malls. There are some times I don't have a choice but to go brick and mortar, but mostly I don't have to.

Malls are the worst. Parking, then walking miles, also fending off sales people trying to make you interested in their product, blah blah. Can't stand it.

Milano

Honorary Master
The common brick and mortar management technique of sucking the consumer dry is shortsighted. Invest nothing in staff training, diddly in staff assessment & supervision. Then nail the consumer at the tills. Drive more consumers online. Fewer consumers = further over-inflated prices and in turn even fewer consumers.

Recently, I needed two large 350mm+ pipe wrenches...but where do I order hand tools online? Makro had stock at R189 each ( http://www.makro.co.za/p/7893/stanley-405mm-pipe-wrench/ ) I took a shot in the dark and tried online. Kalahari sells tools.. who knew right? Plus, they had a special - buy two items from the same catalogue and only pay for one. So options were drive to Makro and get a blank look then pay nearly R400 once I've located them ...or buy both from Kalahari for R90 in total.

Unless brick and mortar retail stores wake up, then loads of retail b&m shops will be retrenching, and much greater unemployment problems loom in the next 5 to 10 years.

Last edited:

eitai2001

Expert Member
Try to buy shoes and clothes online....

Even with the same manufacturers and shoe sizes, you still don't get as good a fit, as at a real store.

I bought two pairs of shoes off the Zando sale. Both arrived ... one was wrong, and although the one they delivered was actually nicer but more expensive, it didn't fit. Luckily, Zando has a free return policy and they collected it again at no cost to me.

The other pair they delivered fit great ... and I have been looking for a similar deal at all brick and mortar stores to no avail.

Just bought some New Balance shoes now off takealot ... admittedly I did go try them on in the shop because I was lazy to see if takealot will fetch them for free if I don't like them. But I still saved R200 :D