Short-changed fund members ask to be defined as ‘African’

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Short-changed fund members ask to be defined as ‘African’

By KIM HELFRICH
THREE members of a provident society have officially requested reclassification as “African” to benefit from a black economic empowerment (Bee) scheme.
Their action comes just weeks after a Gauteng man told traffic officers he had changed his name to an African one to benefit from Bee.
AfriForum chief executive Kallie Kriel is one of the three who have written to the Professional Provident Society requesting reclassification as “African”.
This was done because the Society has indicated its existing “white” policy-holders will in future have their profits reduced by 10% to finance a Bee transaction.
In terms of its classification, 18% of policy-holders are “black”.
Kriel explained: “To achieve the 25% Bee target, the Society has to decrease existing policy-holders’ participation in profits.
“The society uses the Bee guideline that only Africans, coloureds and Indians qualify as Bee policy-holders”, he said.
“I asked for and could not be given a definition or criterion by which an objective determination of who was ‘African’ could be made”.
Kriel said there was “no legal framework for racial classification.
“Seen in the context of the Society’s decision, self-classification is the only option. Therefore, I and two other members want to be classified as ‘African’,” declared Kriel.

Link

Syndyre

Honorary Master
This is going to happen more and more, which means eventually they're going to have to start classifying people by race again. How free and democratic.

K

kingrob

It would seem 355 years is not long enough - white people are still being referred to as 'settlers'...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I actually think the government needs to publish a set of rules as to how a person is classified as African or not, since I do classify myself as African, and I am not a settler as I was born in this country.

Summoner

Stupid humans will always find a reason to fight. If it's not about colour or religion, then it's money or any other arbitrary matter that they can get worked up over.

oober

Expert Member
Yea a comet should just hit the earth and kill all humans. The world would be better of. :mad:

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
I actually think the government needs to publish a set of rules as to how a person is classified as African or not, since I do classify myself as African, and I am not a settler as I was born in this country.
Whats the xhosa/zulu word for apartheid because it seems like we are more and more moving backward to the apartheid days.

Yea a comet should just hit the earth and kill all humans. The world would be better of. :mad:
A virus will always survive :D

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Just use the old pencil test :eek: :eek: