Short circuit protection in Ellies Inverter?

Russell S

I have this 1200w Ellies inverter kit.

Does anyone know what would happen if one of the devices linked to this short circuits? Lets say a television attached to the inverter causes a short. Then the main switch would trip on the house circuit board and the inverter would start providing power via the battery. But now there is a short somewhere in the television. Is there any protection that would then prevent the inverter from providing further power to the faulty device?

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Inverters have fuses, though they may not be easy to reset. It depends on the model and the wiring.

Ask me how I know: I was at my cousin's place, and he connected the 12V battery cables the wrong way around. Had to replace half a dozen 25A fuses inside the box....

Gordon_R

Executive Member
He means on the mains side
It is a common misconception that mains fuses are designed to protect devices, when in fact they are designed to protect the wiring. Each device should have its own fuse, and it should not matter whether it is powered from the mains or from an inverter.

It seems incredibly unlikely that a TV would trip the mains, and then still continue drawing power from an inverter. If this happens, the inverter has its own protection.

thehuman

Expert Member
If it pure sine wave there good chance that invertor have electronic short protection, the question is will it kick in fast enough to protect the output circuit