Short Term Rentals

access

Honorary Master
ive read that home sharing short term rentals like airbnb are still not allowed. is it still the case?

would airbnb be allowed in an apartment block where common property is shared by the various residents?

can you airbnb at all now and does home-sharing fall under common property shared among the residents? like if they have to get into the building by physically touching keypads and lift buttons and doors etc.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
the AirBnB app and website allows you to book anything in South Africa, the hosts also seem to be making everything available

there's a little disclaimer that you should ensure you familiarise yourself with your country's covid regulations, but that is just for show, it is fully open and available

not sure what our regulations say on the topic, but it is pretty clear AirBnB and its hosts don't care anymore, which is great to see

ive read that home sharing short term rentals like airbnb are still not allowed. is it still the case?

would airbnb be allowed in an apartment block where common property is shared by the various residents?

can you airbnb at all now and does home-sharing fall under common property shared among the residents? like if they have to get into the building by physically touching keypads and lift buttons and doors etc.

AirBnB is allowed under Level 2, although you could also book under Level 3 (the government has zero capacity to check on this kind of stuff).

access

Honorary Master
ah yea, ive heard after this post airbnb is allowed since level 2. saw a speech from the pres in july that said home sharing accommodation like airbnb not allowed.

have a friend whos gran is high risk(among others) and theres a airbnb style flat in the apartment block, not a big place 9 or 10 flats. they were renting out it in june i think. there was a bit of stress around it because these people would come and go to their essential services jobs each day and nobody really there to sanitise the common areas each day. just the cleaning company doing it twice a week.

didnt sound right to me to put the residents of the apartment block at risk, i told him im pretty sure there was accommodation specifically made available for essential service people where transmission was minimised. was wondering if anyone else come across this.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
ah yea, ive heard after this post airbnb is allowed since level 2. saw a speech from the pres in july that said home sharing accommodation like airbnb not allowed.

have a friend whos gran is high risk(among others) and theres a airbnb style flat in the apartment block, not a big place 9 or 10 flats. they were renting out it in june i think. there was a bit of stress around it because these people would come and go to their essential services jobs each day and nobody really there to sanitise the common areas each day. just the cleaning company doing it twice a week.

didnt sound right to me to put the residents of the apartment block at risk, i told him im pretty sure there was accommodation specifically made available for essential service people where transmission was minimised. was wondering if anyone else come across this.

At the end of the day government "banned" Airbnb type stuff during Level 5/4/3... But those services kept running so if you could get to your destination, you could use the services if the owner was actively renting it out.