• No

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you think South Africa should join the small number countries that have legalised, or will soon legalise, assisted euthanasia? If so under what conditions? If not, why not?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Yes, they will find a way regardless, regulation can assist with psychology, pain etc, much better handling.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes absolutely.

So long as it remains by the request of the person being euthanised and they self-administer.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What if they're unable to do so?

Then that’s a slippery slope of protocols that need to be considered.

I don’t have a problem if they can’t physically do it due to incapacity. But they should always be the ones to make the final choice.

Even if it means just pressing a button to initiate the sequence.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Ja, no. Normally when someone tries to commit suicide in an desperate attempt to seek attention we try and talk them out of it, get them some help.

Now we are arguing to kill people who don't even have the courage to do a failed attempt themselves. I hardly believe that such a weak person actually wants to die. It is all the perverse fantasy of the good intentioned family members.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Yes. If abortion is legal so should euthanasia be. Your body, your choice.
The argument here is the person is too weak willed and incapable of doing it themselves to the point were they need assistance. Then you truly have to wonder how much of it is really their choice.

thehuman

Expert Member
Ja, no. Normally when someone tries to commit suicide in an desperate attempt to seek attention we try and talk them out of it, get them some help.

Now we are arguing to kill people who don't even have the courage to do a failed attempt themselves. I hardly believe that such a weak person actually wants to die. It is all the perverse fantasy of the good intentioned family members.
Not always, imagine you a independent old man of 90 years old no family, was just informed your leg need to be amputated due to bad blood flow.
If that was me would be a valid reason for a suicide.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Not always, imagine you a independent old man of 90 years old no family, was just informed your leg need to be amputated due to bad blood flow.
If that was me would be a valid reason for a suicide.
But would you have a valid reason for why you need assistance?

abzob

Honorary Master
The argument here is the person is too weak willed and incapable of doing it themselves to the point were they need assistance. Then you truly have to wonder how much of it is really their choice.

Not really anything to do with being weak willed or incapable. I’d prefer a suicide pill/injection rather than splattering at the bottom of a bridge.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I know from personal family experience that a person can get very desperate and that it's a very real thing to them, with emotions taking full control. Later, if allowed to get that far they can come to see things very differently and then still have a bright life.

So how do we ensure it's something in the patient's best interests? (Not that I'm saying there aren't real needs for euthanasia, there are.)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Not really anything to do with being weak willed or incapable. I’d prefer a suicide pill/injection rather than splattering at the bottom of a bridge.
Suicide pills/injection already exist. There's a number of drugs that will put you to sleep permanently if you take enough.

Do you need someone to force feed them to you?

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Well can they sign a piece of paper or nod in agreement? If yes, then surely they can agree to be assisted?