Should I or shouldn't I - buying a slightly new car

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Had a nice trip to Worcester this afternoon and we are happy with the car. We arrived an hour after they closed but as promised there was someone waiting for us. The lady doing our sale worked at Orbit (Mercedes/Mitsubishi) for 12 years until they closed down their used vehicle sales so she is relatively new at GM. So far I am very pleased dealing with this dealership in particular.

First thing our sales lady had to do was "teach" my wife how to drive an auto. The car is in excellent condition and the 103kw engine is a nice upgrade. The 4 speed slushbox is a true, erm, slushbox and can be sluggish at times, most of the time the car is in 4th and rather quiet. Did some reading up and it seems this box is from Aisin, a Japanese maker that seems reputable. Once I am happy with the offer to purchase the car will be services and the alignment done, it is out a bit.

The interior is surprisingly solid for a 7 year old Opel so I guess they were well built. Did not get to checking out the audio but it does have a CD30 MP3 unit like my Corsa and I suspect the speakers can only be better. It has some audio controls in the back although I am not sure what they are for. On the outside the look of the Astra H did appeal to me way back when in the days of the Golf 5 but now it seems dated and slightly overweight. Guess it will grow on me in time, I hope...

Will let you all know how this pans out.
zIMG_20141122_125519_1.jpg

Debeer165

Expert Member
Oy, tell yer lady to keep 'er 'ands at 9 and 3 Roux! Ain't nobody got time for no 8 and 2

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
True that! She was very stressed at the time I took the pic, the whole auto thing is new to her. But once we hit the open road outside town she relaxed and gave it some boot. GM lady can always start her own driving school if used cars don't work out. Then again this candidate will fail...

Edit: VIN is a W0 so this one was built in Germany like my Corsa. Not an AD (GMSA) like our current Astra.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What? Opel actually had an automatic on the local market 7 years ago?

I am shocked. If only they had any now I would actually look at their cars again.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Seems that by the end of today I will only have one of the two important things left that I got in 2004.
1934090_12724575663_7291_n.jpg
No, it's not a noteworthy car, yet it was part of some noteworthy memories. Meeting my wife, going on honeymoon, bringing our daughter home from hospital and the odd ten years/205,000km of memories.

Should be taking delivery of the new one in Worcester later today.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Seems that by the end of today I will only have one of the two important things left that I got in 2004.
View attachment 170205
No, it's not a noteworthy car, yet it was part of some noteworthy memories. Meeting my wife, going on honeymoon, bringing our daughter home from hospital and the odd ten years/205,000km of memories.

Should be taking delivery of the new one in Worcester later today.

Whos dat chick with ugly green crocs?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It's almost a decade ago, can't really remember. Just found the photo when I was looking for picture of the car, was planning on selling it privately but the effort involved is just too much to bother with.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
It's almost a decade ago, can't really remember. Just found the photo when I was looking for picture of the car, was planning on selling it privately but the effort involved is just too much to bother with.

Selling your wife, even privately is frowned upon in the western world.

falcon786

Honorary Master
View attachment 170205

Actually the car is noteworthy not many people can say they managed to find a decent looking wife while driving an Opel,I found a pretty good looking wife while driving a Tazz,but I digress, I still celebrated the day I got rid of that piece of junk car!:D

I do hope you made her get rid of those crocs though,2004 or not they are never forgiveable boet.:sick:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I had lots of crocs, only shoe you could wash in both your washing mashing as well as your dish washer. I think at one time I had an old pair that I chucked in the fire, man did they burn! Lots of heat packed in those puppies.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Thanks for all the input, five days ago I had my mind set on keeping my old car. Had it not been for the feedback you lot have given I would not have a shiny white car sitting in my drive-way now. Really, thanks - and you could have done with a bit more trolling, but anyway...

I was concerned about the autobox but the trip back from Worcester over Du Toitskloof was really enjoyable. The sport button makes the gearbox hold onto gears much longer and reacts very quickly to any pedal movement. Most of all my wife and toddler are now in a much safer and more solid car.

Albeit a 7 year old white Opel Astra...

Last edited: