Should movies which are racially insensitive be removed from streaming platforms?

Should movies which are racially insensitive be removed from streaming platforms?

• Yes

Votes: 37 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 389 91.3%

• Total voters

Grant J Tyler

Do you think movies which are racially insensitive should be removed from broadcasting and streaming platforms like DStv, Netflix and ShowMax?
We are all adults. We should be allowed to decide for ourselves if you want to watch it or not...

Clipper

No! Censorship must not be allowed. If something offends you, just do not watch it! How stupid must you be not to understand that.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I am more irritated by the number of movies promoting criminality that are being shown.

Alan

Honorary Master
We are all adults. We should be allowed to decide for ourselves if you want to watch it or not...

Unfortunately adults can make the wrong choices due not being exposed to a sufficient amount of "sensitivity training"

Jan0602

So if we take it to the extreme and there was an entire archive of Nazi propaganda available on a major streaming platform what would we do ?
Firstly most of us would avoid the service, I wouldn't pay for a service that was making money out of that kind of thing. However what if it was the only service and all the good content was exclusively available on that service ?
Then I would make a noise I suppose. We would be putting pressure on that service to remove those things from their catalogue or putting pressure on the distributors to move their content to another service.

So these movies they are removing are not Nazi propaganda but there are some serious issues with them. For example with out the context for which they are created some of these movies portray a reality that never existed.
This is why you have classifications like "Fantasy" and "Sci-Fi" so someone watching those movies will understand that none of things depicted in the move are real. Perhaps we just need the same kind of things for these old movies. They are still part of our history but need some context and commentary.
That is why I'm not getting upset with them putting up warnings for some of the older movies. Gone with the wind is fine as a story but makes it look like slavery was fine and it was ok to hit woman. Before I let my kids watch those things I'll have a chat with them about all the things they might see and what they mean.

Vote with your money. It's the best way. And if there wasn't suitable competition. Become the competition or become a criminal. Piracy. I have no problem with breaking laws that I don't agree with.

As for protesting - I don't feel like corporations ever get the complaint. I'm white and straight, so I have no reason to speak for previously disadvantaged or LGBT members but I do have some insights:

I am sure that people want stories about people that look like them and identify with them. Rather then being forced into stories that has nothing to do with them.

Jan0602

Unfortunately adults can make the wrong choices due not being exposed to a sufficient amount of "sensitivity training"

Pfff... I try to be sensitive to be people's feelings but if you are over sensitive about everything. I'll just ignore you and do whatever I want.

Sensitivity training? NO! That's stupid. You can't change the world without changing yourself. So start there and grow a thicker skin.

Jan0602

I couldn't give a flying fk about a thicker skin.
I was offended by it.
The N word is strewn across many films.
It's 'ok' because blacks say it to blacks.
If a white person says it it's crucifixion time.

You can't be offended about being rich and white. That's so weird. I'm white. I am educated. I have support from my family and friends. Where's the offensiveness?

And don't get upset because you can's say the n or the k-word. Why the **** would you want to say it? If you go around "k-'ing" everywhere it's not because you are a kwaito fan. It's because you are a racist and you hang out with other racists.

bengine

Why stop at racial issues, why not sex, violence, foul language, waltzing, farting, death of animals - the list goes on. You cannot solve racism by shining a light on it. Once the systematic issues (I am talking laws) have been removed - the next step is for those who were oppressed learning to be equal, and those who did the oppressing (I am not talking about everyone who shares the same skin tone - actually guilty people) need to be called out when they are out of line - as we do with bullies. This topic has absolutely ZERO to do with racism and oppression it has EVERYTHING to do with power and generals always fighting the last war. Racism and the labels that go with it carry immense power for those looking for it and using it as a cudgel to push their agenda. These people are far more dangreous than anything else we face in society and their power needs to be removed. The question is - those that claim to be suffering under the oppression of racism - how ready are they to let that go? It is not enough for society to change - the individual has to change as well - and if there was benefit to be had from having an excuse - that is not so easily given up.

Kees125

Do you think movies which are racially insensitive should be removed from broadcasting and streaming platforms like DStv, Netflix and ShowMax?
No! If a movie offends someone, do not watch it. Its not 1984. I do not want censors to tell me what I should or not see anything!

Vimalsardar

Movies represent a snapshot of history. Movies depict themes and/or subjects that were popular at the time they were made. Everybody has a choice to either watch or not watch content which offends or upsets them. I know people who are upset by horror movies. They choose not to watch this rather than demand the content be removed. There are people who were offended by dialogue in X-Men Apocolypse and chose to boycott the film. As was their choice. Removal of content is akin to censorship which was very prevalent during apartheid. Once you open the door on this, you risk facing opposition to just about every movie ever made. You start with racially insensitive and find that people will request a movie be removed from a streaming service because, for example, the actor/actress/director, who may not even be alive, did something during their career of 50 years that offended someone.

Censorship is seldom a good thing. I disagree with the notion that we should remove/block/deny content. In fact, even if it constitutes hate speech or incites violence or goes against our basic human rights we need to be cautious about censorship because then we would disallow every political speech and rally going forward because all our politicians are the biggest culprits of this

TheWire

You can't rewrite history, if we're really advancing in human intellect then we should be able to distinguish between what we deem as sensitive or not. Bottom line is let us choose and we'll personally deal with the consequences if any!

ALANMACZA

"Sensitivity" is subjective. I hate the violent fight shows on e-tv and believe they could cause more violence amongst the populace, and should be removed.

What will be next? Removing the Planet of the Apes franchise as it might cause offence to any primates who viewed them, or even the aliens living here on earth?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
You can't be offended about being rich and white. That's so weird. I'm white. I am educated. I have support from my family and friends. Where's the offensiveness?

And don't get upset because you can's say the n or the k-word. Why the **** would you want to say it? If you go around "k-'ing" everywhere it's not because you are a kwaito fan. It's because you are a racist and you hang out with other racists.
Your comprehension skills fail you.
You misinterpreted everything I said and gave your own spin on my words.

Please don't quote people if you can't understand what is said.

Etienne Steyn

No. People should be given the option of choice. It is just a movie not reality. You should use your common sense, if something will upset you, DON'T WATCH IT

Cutadash

Democracy is supposed to be about freedom of choice which seems to have flown out of the window in the past 13 weeks are we all to be brainwashed like in a dictatorship or communist country because that’s what it’s beginning to feel like .We don’t have to watch something that we don’t agree with , we can choose well for now at least

Raleigh

I hated Schuster movies. But should they ban it? No ways because there are so many people that love it. I would hate it if they decide to ban movies I love.