Votes: 28 9.5%

• Total voters

eg2505

Honorary Master
yes, biggest airport in SA
most embassies already in PTA,

Cius

Executive Member
Yes, purely from a money saving perspective it makes sense to consolidate government to one city. Happy with PMB retaining the court but 3 capitals is expensive to maintain. A lot of parliament members have two houses maintained, one in CT and the other in Gauteng because their duties expect them to spend time in both areas. Take that away and the travel expenses and it will cut costs over the long run.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Lol, They will not move to Pretoria. Why move out of the best run city...Its nice fcking up the whole SA while staying in CT and enjoying the good life.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The costs of rebuilding in CT have to also now be factored in.

Rebuilding the damaged structures in CPT will be a drop in the ocean in comparison to building an entirely new complex in PTA...

Speedster

Honorary Master
Rebuilding the damaged structures in CPT will be a drop in the ocean in comparison to building an entirely new complex in PTA...
True. But added to the annual savings the maths become a lot more interesting than before the fire.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yes, may well be cheaper to build a new parliament than to fix the old one.

But how do you stop the tenderpreneurs ???

Jola

Honorary Master

Don't think so, fixing historical buildings is seriously expensive.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
True. But added to the annual savings the maths become a lot more interesting than before the fire.

Hardly in my opinion...

You're looking at nothing shy R10bn, and I would hazard a guess closer to R40bn when all is said and done, and that would just be the infrastructure to be built. It doesn't cater for the costs of moving the support staff etc up to PTA.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Yes. CT is small, the roads have not been upgraded to handle the current number of motor vehicles in the city and parliamentary stuff (SONA for instance) brings the city to a standstill. It's ridiculous.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Imagine the fallout if, let say, the UKs parliament caught fire.

Over here it's: "Oops, the sprinklers were turned off. Is this time to move parliament to Pretoria?".

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Imagine the fallout if, let say, the UKs parliament caught fire.

Over here it's: "Oops, the sprinklers were turned off. Is this time to move parliament to Pretoria?".

Of course, any excuse, no matter how feeble, is better than no excuse at all.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Wonderboom Airport? :sneaky:
actually meant OR tambo, but Waterkloof works for me,
should Biden drop in for a visit, to South Sh*th0le will most likely land there,

most Embassies already in PTA, think there are only Consuls in other Cities
makes a lot of sense actually,

OR my Conspiracy Sense in tingling here.
The fire was Engineered to damage parly enough to force the people in charge to change parly location forcibly

people are already saying something smells fishy about the whole thing.
wouldn't put it past them to find a nice way to do it without raising too many eyebrows.