• Yes

Votes: 149 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 118 40.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 9.5%

• Total voters

innovator

Yes Parliament should be moved to Pretoria and the who of this corrupt New SA government along with it. Leave the Western Cape to Govern itself independent of the rest of SA.
bGokFbfGcCkiLmD-1600x900-noPad.jpg

Billydicy6

If we were to move parliament from its current location, Cape Town, to anywhere it should not be Gauteng which is already dominant by way of income and population. South Africa should place parliament in a mid sized city and use it as a development opportunity for that area of the country and create more balance in population spread in the country. I suggest Bloemfontein as it is the most central of all the cities.
This has been done in a number of other counties such as the US, Australia and Brazil

Antnick

is it worth spending a fortune to move it? Short answer, NO. The Mother City has been the seat of parliament for years and moving to Pretoria it will be lost is a government stronghold in all probability. leave it where it is, overseas contacts and countries know where it is and like the Mother City.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
If we were to move parliament from its current location, Cape Town, to anywhere it should not be Gauteng which is already dominant by way of income and population. South Africa should place parliament in a mid sized city and use it as a development opportunity for that area of the country and create more balance in population spread in the country. I suggest Bloemfontein as it is the most central of all the cities.
This has been done in a number of other counties such as the US, Australia and Brazil

Don't want or need all those corrupt, thieving politicos here in Bloemfontein - thanks but no thanks

steve1949

How can you move parliament to a place that has become a squatter camp for protesters

markings

Expert Member
As a resident of Cape Town I'm probably biased but I'd really prefer it if they all fscked off to Pretoria.

I know it also makes logistical sense and will save costs and all that non-emotive stuff, but if I'm honest I just hate all this SONA BS that blocks the roads and blue light parades for people that think they're better than the average citizen.
Once you factor in that a new parliament would have to be built in Pretoria, that all MPs from outside of PTA will still have to travel, that there will still be a need of accommodation in new housing or hotels, it will cease to make economic sense for the country and even less so for CPT.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Once you factor in that a new parliament would have to be built in Pretoria, that all MPs from outside of PTA will still have to travel, that there will still be a need of accommodation in new housing or hotels, it will cease to make economic sense for the country and even less so for CPT.
At the moment there is a requirement for accommodation in and travel to both Pretoria and CT. Surely cutting one of those out will bring some savings?

Also, the value of my home would jump nicely.

markings

Expert Member
At the moment there is a requirement for accommodation in and travel to both Pretoria and CT. Surely cutting one of those out will bring some savings?

Also, the value of my home would jump nicely.
Parliamentary staff may have to travel to CT at the moment. If parliament moves to PTA then staff who does not live in PTA has to travel there. It may reduce travel but will not eliminate it.
Building a new parliament will cost how much? A billion Rand? At what cost would we borrow this money? At 2% it would be 20 million. How much is spent on travel at the moment?
How much does parliament in CT contribute to the WC and CT GDP? How many jobs are connected to the parliament, directly or indirectly? Does it make sense to move this to PTA/JHB are which already has the benefit of being the major industrial hub?
I do not have these numbers but until there is a compelling socio-economic imperative to move it doesn't make sense to me.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Parliamentary staff may have to travel to CT at the moment. If parliament moves to PTA then staff who does not live in PTA has to travel there. It may reduce travel but will not eliminate it.
Building a new parliament will cost how much? A billion Rand? At what cost would we borrow this money? At 2% it would be 20 million. How much is spent on travel at the moment?
How much does parliament in CT contribute to the WC and CT GDP? How many jobs are connected to the parliament, directly or indirectly? Does it make sense to move this to PTA/JHB are which already has the benefit of being the major industrial hub?
I do not have these numbers but until there is a compelling socio-economic imperative to move it doesn't make sense to me.

Here are some of the numbers

Also, travel costs of parliamentary staff won't be for the taxpayer's account (although relocation costs might be). If staff choose to commute between CT and PTA they'll have to pay for that themselves.

Johand

Expert Member
Imagine all the money we could save! Government not having to pay for two cars, two houses etc. Hell just making the parliamentary village's houses and land available for low cost housing would be a major win.

Pretoria needs a reason for existence anyway :-D It can't just be an overflow for Johannesburg :-D