Should public holidays be incorporated into a long weekend?

Should public holidays be incorporated into a long weekend?

• Yes, give me my long weekend

Votes: 211 72.3%
  • No, let them fall where they may

Votes: 81 27.7%

• Total voters

R13...

Honorary Master
Other. Get rid of public holidays and let people take leave when they want to.
That would kill off what's left of the tourist industry. Holidays allow travel in flocks (which I hate) but it's good for business.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Other. Get rid of public holidays and let people take leave when they want to.
Can't you take leave when you want? Or are you in one of those industries that traditionally closes for the Christmas period and forces their employees to take their leave then?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Doesn't matter for me as my contract changed from semi flexi office based to full flexi WFH, ie, I need to have 160 hours per month. How I do it is completely up to me. If I want a long weekend and there's a public holiday in the middle, I'll work on the holiday and take the Friday or Monday off.

Some of our guys have already changed to a 3-day weekend by working 10 hour days, Monday to Thursday. It's a bit of an adjustment for me, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

R13...

Honorary Master
Doesn't matter for me as my contract changed from semi flexi office based to full flexi WFH, ie, I need to have 160 hours per month. How I do it is completely up to me. If I want a long weekend and there's a public holiday in the middle, I'll work on the holiday and take the Friday or Monday off.

Some of our guys have already changed to a 3-day weekend by working 10 hour days, Monday to Thursday. It's a bit of an adjustment for me, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.
How do they know you clocked in the required hours when you are working from home?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
How do they know you clocked in the required hours when you are working from home?
They don't.

Our top management puts us in a position of trust. I didn't work yesterday, I could easily claim that I worked, instead I requested unpaid leave at 12 when I realised that the ****ing court is wasting my time.

The only thing that they are really anal about is when someone tries to get hold of you during office hours but can't, and you haven't requested leave either. Our contracts state even if you do not work for a period of the day, you HAVE to be reachable on mobile during 09:00 - 17:00. This is because everybody works different times and they do not want a situation where John is waiting for Paul on something. The people that you work closely with usually know when you're working or not, so it's really a non issue.

rietrot

Honorary Master
If possible in a business I don't see why not allow people to just take the day off whenever they want.

It's on a Wednesday, work the Wednesday and take Friday off.

RedViking

Nord of the South
That would kill off what's left of the tourist industry. Holidays allow travel in flocks (which I hate) but it's good for business.
Keep Easter and Christmas then. Keeps the hospitals busy as well.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Can't you take leave when you want? Or are you in one of those industries that traditionally closes for the Christmas period and forces their employees to take their leave then?
Those should be outlawed, they should build that into contracts.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Yes and I am still drinking it, have about 5 cases left, but this stocking up on booze is cramping my tiny flat I live in. I have over 50 empty cases in my lounge
An empty crate (without empty bottles) is around R12 and with empties around R24.

You're sitting with R1 200 in your lounge my bru

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
An empty crate (without empty bottles) is around R12 and with empties around R24.

You're sitting with R1 200 in your lounge my bru
Please do not remind me. It is about 6 colums to the ceiling, maybe more
My car is still broken so I have no way to get these back to the bottle store unless I use an Uber Truck

heartbroken

Expert Member
If possible in a business I don't see why not allow people to just take the day off whenever they want.

It's on a Wednesday, work the Wednesday and take Friday off.
We have this, we can “move” a public holiday, only Christmas, Easter an New Year can’t move as they’re also celebrated by our client base

Sepeng

Expert Member
I like it; those Tuesday & Thursday public holidays mess with work weeks so reckon this would help tourism & productivity.