• Too early to say

Votes: 42 28.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Given the concern over teachers succumbing to Covid-19 do you think the schools should reopen as scheduled on the 27th of Jan? Is there plenty of time to prepare or is it too risky? Or should they be using the time to find alternatives to classroom teaching?

eg2505

Honorary Master
at this point way too early to say, Kids must have had one hell of a roller coaster ride in 2020,

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
at this point way too early to say, Kids must have had one hell of a roller coaster ride in 2020,
Is it too early - if plans have to be put in place then it's something that needs to be done as early as possible and not left to the eleventh hour.

PoppieChoffel

Executive Member
Is it too early - if plans have to be put in place then it's something that needs to be done as early as possible and not left to the eleventh hour.
Any school that isn't preparing during these holidays is daft, irrespective.

What I'd like to know is how they're going to handle new students that haven't had orientation/collected required school supplied curriculum materials etc? BF's minion is going into Std 5 next year at a new school and I'm curious how that would be handled if homeschooling has to continue.

eg2505

Honorary Master
you do know how the majority of our politicians who make the laws came into power?
maybe being the squeeze of somebody important, or being related to somebody important,
many of them cant even count up to 10, so you expect them to plan and execute complex plans, never going to happen.

all the laws and rules they come up with are kneejerk reactions, so if enough people complain
yes, they suddenly will close down the schools because somebody told them to.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Kids have taken it hard this year already, also when schools were open the cases were actually stable, perhaps parents need a few hours without their kids.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
you do know how the majority of our politicians who make the laws came into power?
maybe being the squeeze of somebody important, or being related to somebody important,
many of them cant even count up to 10, so you expect them to plan and execute complex plans, never going to happen.

all the laws and rules they come up with are kneejerk reactions, so if enough people complain
yes, they suddenly will close down the schools because somebody told them to.
I am wondering if those who cant count to 10 at least know that a new sentence start with a capital letter

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

What I'd like to know is how they're going to handle new students that haven't had orientation/collected required school supplied curriculum materials etc? BF's minion is going into Std 5 next year at a new school and I'm curious how that would be handled if homeschooling has to continue.
Surely there's only so much schools, particularly state run ones, can do without official guidance (and of course funding)?

maumau

Honorary Master
How many schools have set up for distance learning so they can open.

R13...

Honorary Master
Didn't the scientific advice say to keep schools open even last go round. But the decision will obviously be up to the real people of authority in government, the mighty unions.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Given the concern over teachers succumbing to Covid-19 do you think the schools should reopen as scheduled on the 27th of Jan? Is there plenty of time to prepare or is it too risky? Or should they be using the time to find alternatives to classroom teaching?
Yes, they should. The opening of schools has nothing to do with the education department "preparing" for a new Covid dominated school year. They cant claim they have been caught by surprise.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Didn't the scientific advice say to keep schools open even last go round. But the decision will obviously be up to the real people of authority in government, the mighty unions.
Aren't youth supposedly more susceptible to the new variant?

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Being a fulltime parent of a preschooler and trying to do my fulltime job has done quite a number on my income.

Yes, schools should open.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Being a fulltime parent of a preschooler and trying to do my fulltime job has done quite a number on my income.

Yes, schools should open.
Because you think it's safe or because you need a babysitter? Or both?

R13...

Honorary Master
Aren't youth supposedly more susceptible to the new variant?
The other idea for schools keeping open was that kids are less likely to get infected when in school as theyd be under watch unlike running loose at home. But yes the new variant might have to be considered this time.

bremar

Due to the vast differences in the have and have nots. schools should open as planned. By now most schools have a Covid plan in place and this plan can be continued. We have not seen the full impact 2020 has had on education but I assume that in 5 - 10 years time we will see the impact that 2020 had on school kids. so let's try and get back to some sort of normal and give all kids the best opportunity to achieve

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Kids have taken it hard this year already, also when schools were open the cases were actually stable, perhaps parents need a few hours without their kids.
In my experience, the schools have been the only institutions actually adhering to protocols and regulations and as such it has impacted them minimally.

Through the entire year we had ONE positive case at the school and everyone was swiftly informed, that particular class was forced into isolating at home and the school was decontaminated and life went on.

Can't say the same for most other places who don't take it very seriously at all.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Who said anything about homeschooling? Open means kids physically going to school.

If it was homeschooling they'd likely not need a large proportion of the conventional supplies.