Should teens be able to go against the wishes of "vaccine hesitant" parents?

Should teens be able to go against the wishes of "vaccine hesitant" parents?

• Yes

Votes: 195 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Other / Undecided

Votes: 23 8.6%

• Total voters

R13...

Honorary Master
Are they currently able to go against the wishes of their, say, JW parents when it comes to other medical procedures? Whatever is practice there should be followed here.

Brian_G

Executive Member
BTW, pro-this-vaxxers should note how many anti-this-vaxxers (like me) are saying fine. Allow everyone mature enough their own choice.

neoprema

Executive Member
Are they currently able to go against the wishes of their, say, JW parents when it comes to other medical procedures? Whatever is practice there should be followed here.
There are already laws in place, which JW's (and other religions with medical principles) accept and actually promote - that if a minor is able to make their decision to a court of law against their parent's wishes and the court accepts that the child/teenager is of sound mind and able to make an unbiased decision for their own health, it will be upheld. This of course can go for or against the medical issue at hand.

The default outside of this is that generally parents are allowed to make the decision for their child. But it is a very touchy subject, which is why sometimes a court is best to settle it as they have an unbiased view. (hopefully)

rh1

Expert Member
If they mature enough for this type of decision, then why are there age restrictions for quite a lot normal activities. Brain is not yet developed or at least that is how it has been portrayed that way, so I am awaiting UK to change rules on the following since they so mature:
Car driving licence, drinking, yes gun ownership is strict but you can get it etc.

Brian_G

Executive Member
If they mature enough for this type of decision, then why are there age restrictions for quite a lot normal activities. Brain is not yet developed or at least that is how it has been portrayed that way, so I am awaiting UK to change rules on the following since they so mature:
Car driving licence, drinking, yes gun ownership is strict but you can get it etc.
So, a blanket age of 16 or maybe 18?

We've also got to remember that maturity is a subjective variable, even male/female (excuse the simple description of that ;)) is thought a maturity element.

Brian_G

Executive Member
but what if they identify as 25? then what? we need to honor it... is it not the norm these days... "i identify as XYZ, and you need to treat me as such"
I've just decided to become a permanent 36, thanks for the suggestion :giggle:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
but what if they identify as 25? then what? we need to honor it... is it not the norm these days... "i identify as XYZ, and you need to treat me as such"
I sexually Identify as a microwave dinner | I Sexually Identify as an  Attack Helicopter | Know Your Meme