Should teens be able to go against the wishes of "vaccine hesitant" parents?

Should teens be able to go against the wishes of "vaccine hesitant" parents?

• Yes

Votes: 195 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Other / Undecided

Votes: 23 8.6%

• Total voters

WalkWithMe

Cause parents don’t always know best

Attachments

• 23533296-0B5E-478B-91F2-464DE2B260C6.jpeg
    23533296-0B5E-478B-91F2-464DE2B260C6.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 19

rambo919

Honorary Master
Apparently it's controversial to say that unless you can legally drive, get married, have reached legal mature status, etc without needing the consent of any guardian..... you should not be allowed to choose to do anything against the wishes of your guardians.

It's either you are fully responsible for yourself or you are not responsible for yourself at all.... there are no grey area's. And if you are not responsible for yourself then you should not be allowed life altering decisions.

SAguy

Executive Member
It's a tough one, where do you draw the line.

Should a 13 year old be able to decide if he wants to go ahead with a blood transfusion, even if his parents object?
Should a 13 year old be able to decide to have an abortion without parental consent?
Should a 13 year old be able to take a vaccine even if the parents say no?
Should a 13 year old be able to have gender affirmation surgery?

You could say you draw the line where it becomes life threatening, but carrying a baby to term is more life threatening than having an abortion during early stages. Gender affirmation surgery is risky, but what if the child has suicidal tendencies due to being denied gender surgery.

I dunno hey... don't know if there's a real answer here.

Gyre

Expert Member

Should a 13 year old be able to decide if he wants to go ahead with a blood transfusion, even if his parents object?
Should a 13 year old be able to decide to have an abortion without parental consent?

You could say you draw the line where it becomes life threatening, but carrying a baby to term is more life threatening than having an abortion during early stages. Gender affirmation surgery is risky, but what if the child has suicidal tendencies due to being denied gender surgery.

Agree, kids aren't property. As soon as understanding and reasoning is present, there should be no need to force somebody to do something.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Agree, kids aren't property. As soon as understanding and reasoning is present, there should be no need to force somebody to do something.
Except legally they are, of either the state or their guardians depending on the law.

rambo919

Honorary Master
That's what people gloss over all the time..... there are obviously real answers but it's rarely so easy to actually get to them as "implement X because it's foolproof".

Gyre

Expert Member
Except legally they are, of either the state or their guardians depending on the law.

Ethically they aren't, technically people are property of their countries and states as well.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Ethically they aren't, technically people are property of their countries and states as well.
Objective Law always trumps subjective Ethics.

Your ethical system means people should not be owned.... that does not matter to anyone other than you.

Gyre

Expert Member
Objective Law always trumps subjective Ethics.

Your ethical system means people should not be owned.... that does not matter to anyone other than you.

My ethical system recognizes individuality and freedom, as well as consequences to those freedoms

In one country, you can own a slave - in another, you can own a woman. If we go by laws of these countries, what is stopping them from making a law that either of us own one another?

It is the law, but it doesn't mean that you have to agree with it - just as with abortion and the right of association.

TECHNICALLY, somebody may be my property, but I don't need to recognize them as such.

rambo919

Honorary Master
My ethical system recognizes individuality and freedom, as well as consequences to those freedoms

In one country, you can own a slave - in another, you can own a woman. If we go by laws of these countries, what is stopping them from making a law that either of us own one another?

It is the law, but it doesn't mean that you have to agree with it - just as with abortion and the right of association.

TECHNICALLY, somebody may be my property, but I don't need to recognize them as such.
As I said.... what is ethical for you is not necessarily ethical for anyone else.... making it pointless to proclaim how ethical you are.

Gyre

Expert Member
As I said.... what is ethical for you is not necessarily ethical for anyone else.... making it pointless to proclaim how ethical you are.

That is why I'm a nihilist, it doesn't really matter in the end. People can do whatever they want until somebody comes along and stops them from doing it.

BasBas

If they are able to have a conversation with a doctor who believes they are understanding, I would say yes to all of the above.

rambo919

Honorary Master
If they are able to have a conversation with a doctor who believes they are understanding, I would say yes to all of the above.
Straight out of high school everyone believed I understood how money works..... they were all morons to believe that. Only now do I understand how ignorant I was.

bef0k

Update:

Anyone know any good anti-boner medication?

Try this:

blue-waffle.png

Gyre

Expert Member
Straight out of high school everyone believed I understood how money works..... they were all morons to believe that. Only now do I understand how ignorant I was.

It is because people were not trained correctly in school in the first place, finances and money are very personal matters and people feel are a measurement of their worth as a human being, so it is seldom shared or taught in detail.

It also brings up the uncomfortable conversations as to why Mike makes 300 and works all day but billy makes 900 and works half day.

School prepares kids for very little.

rambo919

Honorary Master
It is because people were not trained correctly in school in the first place, finances and money are very personal matters and people feel are a measurement of their worth as a human being, so it is seldom shared or taught in detail.

It also brings up the uncomfortable conversations as to why Mike makes 300 and works all day but billy makes 900 and works half day.

School prepares kids for very little.
Gloriously he completely misses the point