Should the UK be allowed a second referendum on Brexit?

Should another Brexit Referendum be allowed to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cenredash

Expert Member
So another petition to hold another Brexit referendum but the leadership is not yet swayed?

I agree with the leadership in this case, that even though it was handled poorly, the will of the people in the original referendum should stand. Why?

Bad precedent to continue polling the people on large issues (outside of elections) in western style democracies.
We have a republic where we vote for representatives (hopefully that share our values). Isn't

Next we have a referendum on the death penalty. Two years later someone is legally executed, but then found to be innocent and there is a public uprising and so we go referendum that death penalty is wrong, life is sacred, we didn't know what it meant by Death Penalty. So then we go back to referendum and we say No to the Death Penalty. A few years later some terrible person does terrible things and we all agree, no, this person does not deserve to live. So, we call for a referendum for the death penalty because it is wrong to let this person breathe air a minute longer. And we say, well, if we knew this level of bad person existed when we voted for rescinding the death penalty we would not have voted for rescinding the death penalty, and so on, and so on. Rise of Populism, person with the most instagram followers for president.

From a democratic point of view what do you think?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Should have been a series of them for such a major decision and a higher than just majority requirement. I don't see how it is considered un-democratic to have a second referendum but it does give the public a chance to wakeup with the current balls up.

I find the brits extremely arrogant about the whole situation though, they are still trying to dictate terms to EU.

daveza

Honorary Master
No, just no.

Not pro or anti brexit but since when do you have a second vote cos you don't like the result of the first vote ?

If remain wins next time by a narrow margin do they go for best of three ?

The people spoke - ignore that at your own peril.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think there needs to be a second referendum.
I think there was so much deceit from the brexit campaigners in the lead up to the poll that a lot of people were completely misled.
Now that the reality of what it means is sinking in, the public should have the opportunity to make an informed choice.

R13...

Honorary Master
They're suffering from paralysis at the moment. None of the reps want to support May but aren't willing to stick their necks out either as no one wants to be held accountable if ish hits the fan on whatever decision they make, so they're instead stuck in limbo.

cenredash

Expert Member
I think there needs to be a second referendum.
I think there was so much deceit from the brexit campaigners in the lead up to the poll that a lot of people were completely misled.
Now that the reality of what it means is sinking in, the public should have the opportunity to make an informed choice.
So if you don't like the decision then you say you were misled or didn't have enough information. You'll never have complete information but you can't just change your mind when things don't go your way.

Techne

Honorary Master
People won't fall for the "let's vote until people support the Euro" strategy.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So if you don't like the decision then you say you were misled or didn't have enough information. You'll never have complete information but you can't just change your mind when things don't go your way.
It's not a matter of opinion.
And yes, when you get new information you can change your mind. It's called being open minded.
The brexit propaganda was just like trump's Mexico is paying for the wall lie.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Who gives a toss?
I do, and most Europeans and Brits as well.
600+ million directly affected and billions of others indirectly.

What an arrogant sh8tfaced comment to make about a global issue.. nice provincial mindset, you born at tip of Africa and never left these shores by any chance..?

The Voice

Executive Member
It's not a matter of opinion.
And yes, when you get new information you can change your mind. It's called being open minded.
The brexit propaganda was just like trump's Mexico is paying for the wall lie.
Agreed. But Remain has been trying to get a vote to reverse the decision since the day they lost. To completely discredit the democratic process, and the opinion of the other half of the population. They're the epitome of a sore loser. And yes, had Remain won, the shoe probably would've been on the other foot.

While there has been a shift in opinion 2 years on with new information coming to light, and the way May's government has completely butchered the negotiations, I'm sure there's been a lot of movement from one side to the other, and possibly back again. But overall, I'm certain the Leave:Remain ratio will still be as close as the day we voted.

Had a Brexiteer handled our exit (which would've been the logical thing to do) instead of a Remainer, we'd be done and dusted by now, and officially leaving the EU this coming Friday - with or without a deal.

As for me, I really can't be bothered anymore with what happens - anything is better than the complete shitshow we have now. If they're able to force another vote with their petition (close to 4mil signatures now - anything over 100k is wasted energy anyway, as government still have to consider it) and we have to do this all over again, and we vote to Remain, then we need to clean house and get rid of every single MP implicated in this mess - they've failed everyone by not being able to honour a democratic decision.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Another 2 referendums must be held, that way you can do the best of 3!

JayM

Expert Member
They should let the public choose between EEA+customs union, May's deal or no deal by using preferential voting. Take remain off the table completely.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Agreed. But Remain has been trying to get a vote to reverse the decision since the day they lost. To completely discredit the democratic process, and the opinion of the other half of the population. They're the epitome of a sore loser. And yes, had Remain won, the shoe probably would've been on the other foot.

While there has been a shift in opinion 2 years on with new information coming to light, and the way May's government has completely butchered the negotiations, I'm sure there's been a lot of movement from one side to the other, and possibly back again. But overall, I'm certain the Leave:Remain ratio will still be as close as the day we voted.

Had a Brexiteer handled our exit (which would've been the logical thing to do) instead of a Remainer, we'd be done and dusted by now, and officially leaving the EU this coming Friday - with or without a deal.

As for me, I really can't be bothered anymore with what happens - anything is better than the complete shitshow we have now. If they're able to force another vote with their petition (close to 4mil signatures now - anything over 100k is wasted energy anyway, as government still have to consider it) and we have to do this all over again, and we vote to Remain, then we need to clean house and get rid of every single MP implicated in this mess - they've failed everyone by not being able to honour a democratic decision.
What was the Turnout again? I don't think you can make statements about "half" of the population...

Thor

Honorary Master
No, just no.

Not pro or anti brexit but since when do you have a second vote cos you don't like the result of the first vote ?

If remain wins next time by a narrow margin do they go for best of three ?

The people spoke - ignore that at your own peril.
The people didn't spoke. The people where sold a lie and voted for a lie.

C4Cat

Executive Member
I agree with UKIP leader Nigel Farage:
"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."