Should those eschewing vaccination pay more for life insurance?

Should those eschewing vaccination pay more for life insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 170 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 35.1%

• Total voters

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I dunno about life insurance. But if you were offered the vaccine and don't take it, and then get sick enough to need healthcare, should you be refused?

I mean, you obviously don't believe in science, why would you want doctors attending to you? Just do the thoughts and prayers thing.
Let’s not make doctors judges.
You don’t want the script flipped into some pro-life agenda.

richjdavies

Expert Member
That is not the argument. But even if the correlation is correct you are referring to relatives. If you're young and healthy your risk of dying of Covid is still under 0.1% assuming you contract it. Just the top 5 causes of death have killed like 15x more people than Covid did in a year.
But covid is Just one cause.

If you are young and catch covid a 0.1% chance od dying is doubling your chance of dying. So you know, why bother doing all the other stuff you do to prevent dying. Eat food that isnt cooked properly, drive without a seatbelt in a crappy car with no safety rating, so hang out in dangerous bars and start fights!?

The numbers you are using have NO context.

Swa

Honorary Master
But covid is Just one cause.

If you are young and catch covid a 0.1% chance od dying is doubling your chance of dying. So you know, why bother doing all the other stuff you do to prevent dying. Eat food that isnt cooked properly, drive without a seatbelt in a crappy car with no safety rating, so hang out in dangerous bars and start fights!?

The numbers you are using have NO context.
They have context ito insurance. 0.1% is way less than most causes of death which they don't bother addressing so why force an experimental vaccine?

RVQ

Expert Member
Both Health and Life insurance should either require higher premiums or offer exclusions, I believe these two options are a reasonable choice than having responsible and sane individuals cover the costs of this unnecessary burden.

Unpopular opinion, life insurance in cases already require physical health checks and the same needs to apply to health insurance. If an individual chooses to smoke, chooses to eat junk food, chooses not to vaccinate, chooses to consume insane amounts of alcohol, chooses not to exercise then they should bare the costs of their decisions. That said I myself am a junk food eating, overweight, coach alcoholic who would probably end up on this type of list

Last edited:

richjdavies

Expert Member
They have context ito insurance. 0.1% is way less than most causes of death which they don't bother addressing so why force an experimental vaccine?
Thats not true for young people.
Go look at the table!

Swa

Honorary Master
I still don't get what you're pointing out. 0.1 is still a low risk factor in the grand scheme. Sure younger people will generally have a lower risk from most conditions while older ones a higher one but that's already worked into insurance premiums. So is pandemics and natural disasters especially after SARS.

This reminds of the double dipping by Outsurance. Increase your premium each year but pay you out less if you're in an accident.

PS: For some reason I can't quote you.

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
Loading is industry standard practice, yes.

There seems to be this "opinion" that restrictions/penalties etc are "anti-choice". They arent. They are the consequences of your choices, you have the freedom to choose.
i chose to be vaccinated and had my jab,i was sick for a day on Thursday and Friday.But at least i know when the boss makes new rules i got my card.Its really unfair to those around you in the workplace .Its like smoking in the office.....remember the days when you could smoke in the office, and then remeber how the rules changed for all different reasons.This is how the future is gonna be for say the next few years.
Get your jab and dont worry about conspiracy theories...lol

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
The only way an anti-vaxxer changes their opinion is when they die or have a tube shoved down their throat.

alanB

Why is this question even being asked here?

The entire point of the being an actuary is to answer questions like this. They will do a statistical analysis of the relevant risks and make a judgement on that basis. That's how all insurance works.

It should have nothing to do with public opinion. Or are we politicising that now as well?

konfab

Honorary Master
If an actuary can prove that a healthy 20 year old with no underlying health conditions actually has a serious risk of dying or becoming disabled from the coof, then it is perfectly fine.

R13...

Honorary Master
If an actuary can prove that a healthy 20 year old with no underlying health conditions actually has a serious risk of dying or becoming disabled from the coof, then it is perfectly fine.
I'm sure the companies will have to consider things like age. They do when calculating other risks, so this should be no different.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Both Health and Life insurance should either require higher premiums or offer exclusions, I believe these two options are a reasonable choice than having responsible and sane individuals cover the costs of this unnecessary burden.

Unpopular opinion, life insurance in cases already require physical health checks and the same needs to apply to health insurance. If an individual chooses to smoke, chooses to eat junk food, chooses not to vaccinate, chooses to consume insane amounts of alcohol, chooses not to exercise then they should bare the costs of their decisions. That said I myself am a junk food eating, overweight, coach alcoholic who would probably end up on this type of list
**** me, check this guy out. He coaches alcoholics. Or do I misunderstand, you're an alcoholic looking for a coach? @Pineapple Smurf might an opportunity for a side income here...