Slayeruser

Expert Member
OK, fine but a 32" TV's resolutions are 1920x 1080. And a the 30" PC monitor does 2560x1600.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
does the human eye even notice a differnt between those two sets of resolutions?

When sitting at a desk in front of it? BIGTIME.

I'd be interested in knowing what 32" PC monitor they found for R7k, that's amazingly cheap.

buyeye

Executive Member
does the human eye even notice a differnt between those two sets of resolutions?

It depends on what you will be using it for , you would notice the diffence if you used the tv as a monitor .

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Bought a Samsung 32" 1080P LCD TV for R3300.00 and using it on my gaming PC. The fonts aren't as crisp as they appeared to be on my old 24" Dell screen and working in Office apps may not be quite as pretty but gaming on this beauty is awesome!

Comet

Well if you sitting far from the TV then it would be fine but I guess sitting close up it won’t really work that well.

william riker

i bought a 32'' full hd LG @R2999, using it as monitor and tv...

couldn't believe the bargain..

AirWolf

Honorary Master
If they use the same LCDs, why are only tvs manufactured locally?

BGE

Expert Member
Surely they are only assembled here?? I thought all the LCD panels are manufactured in Japan, China and so on... not SA?

Jan

Drifting in the black
OK, fine but a 32" TV's resolutions are 1920x 1080. And a the 30" PC monitor does 2560x1600.

Exactly. Surely Corrie Labuschagne and Bennie Budler should know this

We only looked at 1920x1080 monitors.

The issue in question here is not whether or not higher resolution computer monitors exist, but whether monitors and TVs have the same quality panel and backlighting for a given resolution and size.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
The difference is in the refresh rate

You need a hectic refresh rate for gaming.

dudewotevr

Expert Member
As usual they totally forgot to mention that most PC screens are TN-Panels, and that Samsung/LG FullHD screens are usually S-PVA and S-IPS respectively, which both beat the pants off TN with respect to viewing angles and colour reproduction.

Samsung LA32D550 R3499 at Game til September I believe. Text is super-crisp, 0-input lag, 0-ghosting.

TJ99

Honorary Master
The article also mentions a 25% tax? I thought it would be 7%. Still, it's pretty stupid if a TV works out cheaper than a monitor due to taxfaggotry supposedly instituted "because people use monitors as TV's" (even though that's impossible).

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep

The issue in question here is not whether or not higher resolution computer monitors exist, but whether monitors and TVs have the same quality panel and backlighting for a given resolution and size.

Think I missed the answer in the article... Is it? and no, I want a real comparison, with pictures and everything, cause like unskinnybob said, there is a quality difference...

elvis_presley

Expert Member

What was the R7k 32" monitor you compared it with? Are you sure it's an actual PC monitor, and not some strange niche market industrial/commercial monitor, which justifies the price?

elvis_presley

Expert Member
As usual they totally forgot to mention that most PC screens are TN-Panels, and that Samsung/LG FullHD screens are usually S-PVA and S-IPS respectively, which both beat the pants off TN with respect to viewing angles and colour reproduction.

Agreed. Too many factors for comparison, the article takes none into consideration. Doesn't even mention what model they compared to what.