Should you get an iPad Mini? And which one?

Knersus

Plus its perfect to use for reading in bed (have you tried holding up a full-size iPad while horizontal or even semi-horizontal?)

Why do people keep saying that? I read my full size ipad in bed every night and never ever felt that it is "heavy" or uncomfortable... Do I just have strong arms or what? lol :D

fruitbat

Expert Member
Should you get an iPad Mini? And which one?

Is the new device the perfect tablet, or completely pointless?

Id say the wifi only device is pointless unless you ONLY want to use it at home or at work for work. If you want to do personal stuffs, wouldn't you rather keep it separate from the work network? I know I would. (and do)

Also if you are going to use a mifi device or hotspot... doesnt the hotspot feature enabled now chow battery on the tablet AND the hotspot device as well? So now you have to make sure theres power on both devices...

The extra cost of the device is def worth it....

However, finding a wifi + cellular device is a more difficult than the wifi only devices. Seems the Istores have loads of stock of wifi only, not so much of the wifi + cellular...

Oreomitch

Why do people keep saying that? I read my full size ipad in bed every night and never ever felt that it is "heavy" or uncomfortable... Do I just have strong arms or what? lol :D

I guess when you're watching p0rn, you need a free hand.

Jola

Honorary Master
IMO the 7" devices are all about portability and travel, so you need 3G.

Also, the Apple wifi devices do not have GPS, unlike the Android wifi devices.

At home a 10" wifi device is fine.

Beri

Expert Member

lol.... i think he has small hands like a girl....

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I bought the 16GB with cellular iPad Mini the day DigiCape got them. My research indicted this to be the best option. One do not need more than 16GB on a smaller device when one already owns larger tablets.

I am very impressed with the device. I was concerned about the screen resolution (not retina) but it works great as is and is definitely better to read on than the iPad 2 (text clarity). Very thin and light so it makes for the perfect Kindle replacement ... except outside in the sun where the screen is totally useless. The one thing that does irritate me a lot is that the Mini's screen has much more reflection than the larger iPad and one often has to hold the device at an angle to reduce reflections. Must get some mat finish screen protector or something to help with this.

The other issue is that I use a stylus a lot more on the Mini as some things are not so easy to tap (small ... one easily taps the wrong link etc). Get a good stylus with as small a point as possible. Go myself the Adonit one that works at angles. Works great.

To me getting a Mini priced higher than the 16GB with cellular will be paying too much. It really is an overpriced device and not as "premium" as Apple would want you to believe it is. It can easily be sold for a R1000 less IMO. The Nexus 7 is not much less "premium" (if at all).

phoneJunky

Executive Member
IMO the 7" devices are all about portability and travel, so you need 3G.

Also, the Apple wifi devices do not have GPS, unlike the Android wifi devices.

At home a 10" wifi device is fine.

I will agree with you on the portability and 3G point, but I think most people won't care about the lack gps.

I do think that the author and I live in different worlds. I don't want to use my device at home or at work (PCs are still better to use in my opinion) . I want to use it everywhere else.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I bought the 16GB with cellular iPad Mini the day DigiCape got them. My research indicted this to be the best option. One do not need more than 16GB on a smaller device when one already owns larger tablets.

I used to be of that opinion so I bought myself a 32Gb iPad 2 and a 16Gb iPhone 4S (because I couldn't be bothered to wait for stock).

Now I wish I had a 64GB of each, purely so I don't need to "manage" everything so much but more so for the fact that if you want to load music on your device (which is quite likely the smaller it gets) then you want more space.

So I would say 32gb is actually the perfect in betweener.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I am very impressed with the device. I was concerned about the screen resolution (not retina) but it works great as is and is definitely better to read on than the iPad 2 (text clarity). Very thin and light so it makes for the perfect Kindle replacement ... except outside in the sun where the screen is totally useless. The one thing that does irritate me a lot is that the Mini's screen has much more reflection than the larger iPad and one often has to hold the device at an angle to reduce reflections. Must get some mat finish screen protector or something to help with this.
Strange how that seems to change when people spend some time using the device. :)

I think the added reflection comes from the new bonding process - iirc they removed a layer of glass along the way.
It's much more comfortable reading for long periods on the mini. The thing is light as a feather compared to my third gen iPad - its even lighter than my nexus 7, which surprised me.

Last edited:

surfs-up

Expert Member
I bought a new iPad Mini yesterday - I was wanting a 32 GB wifi with cellular. There was no stock, so I ended up getting the more expensive 64GB WiFi iPad mini with cellular.

I really think having the GPS in the Cellular model is worth the extra cost. I use the GPS all the time, and look forward to Google releasing its maps app for iPad.

I bought the first iPad which I sold when I bought the iPad 2. Personally I think the iPad mini is the perfect size tablet. If Apple had brought out both the mini and full size iPad at the same time, I would have got a mini and never bothered about the full size one. Now I have both, I can see the mini getting 95 % of my tablet use compared to my iPad 2

Absolutely a worthwhile buy...

Dolby

Honorary Master
I was concerned about the screen resolution (not retina) but it works great as is and is definitely better to read on than the iPad 2 (text clarity)

So the screen is better than iPad 2?
Or only text clarity?
Photos?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
So the screen is better than iPad 2?
Or only text clarity?
Photos?

Sits between iPad 2 and iPad 3/4. Perfect for smaller tablet considering battery/power requirements.

Perfect photography companion with the camera connection kit for SD card reading (if not using Eye-Fi). Small and light enough to go everywhere with camera kit.

I'm sure Apple will bring out a retina version at some point to again sell a Mini to those already owning one, but it won't make such as big difference as I originally believed it would. They should however address the reflection issue as it can be very irritating at times.

Dolby

Honorary Master
AH thanks .... not quite as bad as they made out initially then, as I don't have a huge issue with iPad 2 screen right now

Pixual

Expert Member
I was pleasantly surprised at how legible and usable the iPad mini is. I am definitely going to get one as it is much easier to hold than the bigger iPad 2.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member

The other issue is that I use a stylus a lot more on the Mini as some things are not so easy to tap (small ... one easily taps the wrong link etc). Get a good stylus with as small a point as possible. Go myself the Adonit one that works at angles. Works great.

To me getting a Mini priced higher than the 16GB with cellular will be paying too much. It really is an overpriced device and not as "premium" as Apple would want you to believe it is. It can easily be sold for a R1000 less IMO. The Nexus 7 is not much less "premium" (if at all).

I havent used one yet but I do know 2 people with them and I rate their opinions
Both had the iPad 2 and both love the Mini more than the iPad 2 much for the same reasons you mention above

It has the same resolution as the iPad 2 but I suppose in a smaller screen it will appear sharper

I must admit as much as I like my iPad 3 I sometimes wish it could be a bit smaller and lighter.
That's not a criticism because I love the Retina screen

K

kingrob

The Nexus 7 32GB is going for R2999 at kalahari.com - enough said.

HBee

Expert Member
No need for a version with cellular. I assume you can tether the mini to your phone like android devices ?