Should you get an iPad Mini? And which one?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
No need for a version with cellular. I assume you can tether the mini to your phone like android devices ?

The cellular one comes with GPS ... A must-have feature for me. I bought a wi-fi only iPad 1 (my first iPad) and regretted not getting one with GPS. You can tether yes, but it becomes irritating after a while ... and it drains your phone in the process ... and a phone with a flat battery is a major hassle.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
The cellular one comes with GPS ... A must-have feature for me. I bought a wi-fi only iPad 1 (my first iPad) and regretted not getting one with GPS. You can tether yes, but it becomes irritating after a while ... and it drains your phone in the process ... and a phone with a flat battery is a major hassle.

Why do you need gps, I thought you had a smartphone. Do you prefer navigation on a bigger device.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Why do you need gps, I thought you had a smartphone. Do you prefer navigation on a bigger device.

Any maps app works better on a larger screen and the iPad Mini screen is perfect for map/navigation use ... so it will cripple an excellent navigation solution not to have it on the Mini. Map/Navigation use is IMO one of the Mini's strengths (ignoring for a moment Apple's map fiasco. When I'm bored I send map corrections through to Apple ... there are so many errors it can become a hobby).

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
The iPad Mini's price is actually pretty realistic for what it is - a greatly improved iPad2. Miniaturisation doesn't equal degradation of quality; it's quite a feat to get the A5X chip and iPad2 internals down to that size, and with LTE to boot and an attractive chassis design. The Nexus 7 is the one device that rivals it though in value/money. It's not the same quality but it's $130 cheaper. It's an unrealistic price for what it is since there isn't any margin being made on hardware. So the value you get is arguably higher than the iPad Mini's value. I think I'd still rather have the iPad Mini though, it's such an adorable looking piece of kit.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
It means if you have a creditcard with another bank that has an outstanding balance of r10k or more and agree to have that outstanding balance transferred to an fnb creditcard, and cancel that account with the other bank (iirc) then you qualify for an additional discount.

Sort of. There are 2 levels of discount that you can qualify for: R50/month discount is just for holding an FNB credit card with a certain required amount of spending every month depending of the level of credit card. R100/month is if you do a balance transfer switch:
To get the full R100 p/m back you
need to Complete a Balance
Transfer Switch
Switch one of your existing credit facilities with a balance of R10 000 or more into your FNB Credit Card, using a Balance Transfer Switch.

Minimum term of 24 months.