ShowMax has grabbed a big chunk of market share in South Africa

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
When subscription video on demand (VOD) service ShowMax launched in South Africa in August, it quickly grabbed 40% of the VOD market share in the country.

So, how is this VOD market share determined, it is still very early to make an estimation... well,

Morgan Stanley analyst Edward Hill-Wood predicted that ShowMax will break even in 2021, with about 800,000 subscribers, while van Dijk said the streaming service will remain unprofitable until at least 2017.

I guess their determined VOD market share is very small?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So, how is this VOD market share determined, it is still very early to make an estimation... well,

I guess their determined VOD market share is very small?

I'd really love to see the actual breakdown - esp whether or not they included the "illegal" :rolleyes: VOD services such as Netflix and Hulu.

Nemus

Expert Member
Ok so i've tried opening FrontRow in Chrome (45), Firefox (40), Edge, and Opera... Doesn't work on any of them...

greg0205

Honorary Master
I'd really love to see the actual breakdown - esp whether or not they included the "illegal" :rolleyes: VOD services such as Netflix and Hulu.

I'll bet the house they didn't. Guessing it's based on whatever DStv's VOD Box Office thingie's numbers are.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Well considering they are the only VOD player to do real advertising it makes sense.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Just cancelled Hulu. Even with a great 20mbps line I have issues with buffering and I don't it anywhere else.

I'd get ShowMax as soon as it is on XboxOne

grok

Honorary Master
Tested Showmax over the weekend and apart from limited content streaming worked perfect.

Pilgrim

Wugger
ShowMax has grabbed a big chunk of market share in SA

The head of Discover Digital, which runs MTN’s video on demand platform, has revealed how ShowMax is performing in SA.

I would love to see the numbers for the following:
- People that signed up for the free service (my guess is this is the number they are talking about)
- Free service people that actually watched more than one movie/episode
- 7 day trial users
- Actual premium users that will keep paying R99 per month.

My opinion is that those numbers will vary dramatically :D

Electric

Honorary Master
Just cancelled Hulu. Even with a great 20mbps line I have issues with buffering and I don't it anywhere else.

Hulu shouldn't buffer on a 20Mb line.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Yeah more than likely it's your ISP.

Are you on Afrihost?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm Vox... That Samsung special.

Works 100% on everything else and get a real world 17mbps down. Was downloading at 2MB/sec over the weekend.

I'll try again tonight

Electric

Honorary Master
I'm Vox... That Samsung special.

Works 100% on everything else and get a real world 17mbps down. Was downloading at 2MB/sec over the weekend.

I'll try again tonight

Vox has never had an issue with Hulu even when I had 4Mb.

FNfal

Executive Member
I have not signed up simply because of this "ShowMax is owned by Naspers, which owns pay TV operator MultiChoice."
,I have DSTV premium and refuse to give them more money and am waiting for one of the others to launch here .

"
MultiChoice

"MyBB community never have anything positive to say about anything we do. Very few of them are actually customers of ours so we don't take them too seriously."
http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p=189604&postcount=10

Bad attitude towards MBB .

This elephant does not forget .

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I have not signed up simply because of this "ShowMax is owned by Naspers, which owns pay TV operator MultiChoice."
,I have DSTV premium and refuse to give them more money and am waiting for one of the others to launch here .

"
MultiChoice

"MyBB community never have anything positive to say about anything we do. Very few of them are actually customers of ours so we don't take them too seriously."
http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p=189604&postcount=10

Bad attitude towards MBB .

This elephant does not forget .

So why don't you cancel your DSTV premium then if you hate them so much?