Showmax special offers vs Netflix – Prices and content compared

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member

Showmax recently launched special offers for prepaid packages at substantial discounts.

The prepaid offers include a saving of up to R713 on an annual subscription to the streaming service.

The packages available are:
  • 12 months – R475 (normally R1,188 – saving of R713 off)
  • 6 months – R297 (normally R594 – saving of R297)
  • 3 months – R199 (normally R297 – saving of R98)
The MultiChoice-owned standalone streaming service’s biggest rival in South Africa is Netflix.

warr10r

I'd rather have fast Internet than DStv Premium. I'd rather have Netflix than Showmax. Heck, I'd rather see if etv makes a streaming platform before going Showmax.

Showmax was very uninspired when I saw it last. I saw a pretty woeful selection of movies and series when I last logged in.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
Generally, I find Showmax kinda mediocre - especially ever since I was able to access US version of Netflix...

Charlesjjm

The Showmax App on my TV is an absolute disaster. It freezes from time to time, it buffers every 5 minutes. When I stop watching at the end of an episode and resume a day later, it will jump to about 35 minutes into the next episode. There is no start from the beginning button, so I have to 'rewind' all the way to the beginning. It is so annoying.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
While Netflix is always going to be my first choice, I'd probably find the cash for Showmax as well if I didn't already have Hulu. Unfortunately they don't have a Roku app and none of my other streaming devices come close to the Roku experience.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'd rather have fast Internet than DStv Premium. I'd rather have Netflix than Showmax. Heck, I'd rather see if etv makes a streaming platform before going Showmax.

Showmax was very uninspired when I saw it last. I saw a pretty woeful selection of movies and series when I last logged in.
You don't enjoy HBO content? That's Showmax's biggest advantage for me.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

Showmax recently launched special offers for prepaid packages at substantial discounts.

The prepaid offers include a saving of up to R713 on an annual subscription to the streaming service.

The packages available are:
  • 12 months – R475 (normally R1,188 – saving of R713 off)
  • 6 months – R297 (normally R594 – saving of R297)
  • 3 months – R199 (normally R297 – saving of R98)
The MultiChoice-owned standalone streaming service’s biggest rival in South Africa is Netflix.
Ja want "720p like" > netflix up to 4k. HL Logic 101 :thumbsup:

Kaysway

I have both but can go the whole week without using showmax. I don’t think it’s bad, just that I’ve already watched almost all of their limited HBO stuff, which is what sets them apart from Netflix.